Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1041-A being generated for charity donation final year Trust 1041

Drphibes
Level 7

Have a trust that was final in 2023 that made an allowable charity donation.  Being a final year it is a complex trust.  Obviously being a final year, all income is being distributed.  The Charity portion of the program has been filled out with the charity info and donation amount.

The program is generating a 1041-A despite the exception for having to file a 1041-A if all income is being distributed.  When I change the designation to simple trust, the 1041-A goes away but there is a non-critical diagnostic that simple trusts cannot take a charitable deduction.  The donation amount is appearing on the K-1 of the beneficiaries.

I have looked around to see if there is a box to check that says income must be distributed but cannot find such a box.

What am I missing?  Thanks in advance all!

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is it really a charitable contribution?

Or is the charity one of the beneficiaries?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

Ya, that was the 1st question I asked.

It is a charitable contribution. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

In the beneficiaries section, have you indicated 100% (applicable % for each beneficiary adding up to 100) of the income is required to be distributed? As opposed to discretionary?

Don't know if this will help.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers