Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8879 Audit

In my understanding these are retained by the CPA/ERO and could be audited by the IRS. If your 8879s have been examined are you willing to share what you learned from that experience?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I could be wrong, but unless the IRS notices a potential problem, I don't think they do that very often anymore.  I think the IRS is putting forth much more effort towards auditing tax preparers for Due Diligence and have drastically reduced the 8879 audits.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

It was many years ago. IRS gave me a short list, by SSN, of signed 8879s they wanted to see.

I produced them.

End of story..

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I could be wrong, but unless the IRS notices a potential problem, I don't think they do that very often anymore.  I think the IRS is putting forth much more effort towards auditing tax preparers for Due Diligence and have drastically reduced the 8879 audits.

Thank you. I have saved 1000s of them. I need to review the requirements for disposal dates.

Some of my clients get very worried about signing exactly as the name is printed.  

With a very few trusted clients, I ask one to sign for both. I doubt that is a problem.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...With a very few trusted clients, I ask one to sign for both"

MY solution for that is.....  'Isn't s/he in the car down in the parking lot?  Out the front door/back in seconds with the second signature.  <w> <nod>.

MY position on this is, if/when the e-file police show up - that's my signal to just go ahead and retire.  But I'm relatively close to that decision anyway so it wouldn't be a problem.  Well, it might be for my clients.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Back in the early days of e-filing - I started e-filing in 1993 - I was audited.

The only thing I couldn't find was my original approval letter from the IRS saying I was allowed to e-file.

I passed.

I scan all signed 8879s and destroy the originals.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.