Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questionnaire - suggestions desired

Time to edit the standard questionnaire.

Folks,

Do you suggest any particular questions that would make tax preparation easier?  

I also use the questionnaire to provide news or tidbits. For example, this is one I think clients will enjoy or find useful.

All taxpayers, not just those currently receiving benefits, who have not created an online
account with the Social Security Administration should create one. Taxpayers can review their
earnings history online, print annual statements, and order replacement Social Security cards.  Go to:  www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-SSA-1099.html

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

I believe the majority of my clients either can't read or refuse to read what I provide to them.  If I added "check this box and return with your completed organizer to receive $100 cash", it wouldn't cost me more that $500 for all of tax season.  A few of them would check the box and then keep the form at home.  A few more would circle the box.  Another handful would call and ask what that meant.  A few of that handful would ask if they had to bring in $100 cash with them when they dropped off their return.  And of course a large percentage of them would just bring back the sheet along with the organizer, unopened in the envelope that I mailed the organizer in.

Why did you have to post this question?  Now you have me depressed just thinking of tax season 😢

Slava Ukraini!

hey man, you're harshing my mellow 😕

Many of my clients don't read it either and each year I try to make it a bit more interesting, so I add tips, info, "must read" tax titillating comments.  I'll let you know if I am successful.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are successful, let me know.  Maybe we can arrange a client swap of some kind.😜

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

I condense the condensed organizer. I use 1 page client letter, 1 page Engagement, 2 page Condensed Questionnaire (I basically eliminate any blank lines between questions), then the condensed organizer. 

I print 2 sided and many will be less than 5 sheets that go into a window envelope for 1 Forever Stamp (purchased at Costco for a discount before the last price increase). If more than 5 sheets I fold in half and mail in a plain white 5.75 X 8.75 envelope using 1 forever stamp and one or more forever extra postage. Call me cheap, but I grew up that way.

The cover page always mentions I am gonna jack up the price and they are welcome to go hunting. This year I put in a sentence about California's wonderful Middle Class Refund that shared taxpayers information with a New York Bank and a South Dakota processing company. Oh yes, they do share information with their affiliates, but don't get me started on that. 

Teaser - page 1 of Questionnaire

page1.jpg

I seldom mention new tax laws, cuz they don't read them and sometimes those laws change before I do the return. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns