Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP Loan Forgiveness Statement

misskeiko
Level 4

In section 4.1 PPP Loan Forgivenss Statement, why are there both 2020 taxable year and 2021 taxable year? What does the year 2020 and 2021 mean there? Thank you.

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
abctax55
Level 15

Ummm... loans were forgiven in both years.  

Pick the one that applies to your client.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
misskeiko
Level 4

I don't think it means forgiven year.

If the loan is forgiven in 2020, it should be treated as tax-exempt income in 2020 tax return, not 2021.

We can treat PPP as tax-exempt income:

1=as expenses are paid or incurred

2=when forgiveness is applied for

3=when forgiveness is granted

0 Cheers
Couls Law
Level 3

I asked this same question on Tuesday and no one could answer.  It doesn't make any sense to talk about how 2020 was handled on the 2021 return.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"It doesn't make any sense to talk about how 2020 was handled on the 2021 return."

Since when does the IRS have to make sense?  If you remember, first the loans were taxable and then they weren't.  And then there were was, if they know they were going to be forgiven, do we show them as forgiven in 2020?  So, just put the information in as asked.  If the loans were forgiven in 2020, type in 2020.  If they were forgiven in 2021 type in 2021.  There is no need to try and over complicate things.

Slava Ukraini!
misskeiko
Level 4

That's similar to what I planned to do. I think what matters is the result, which is PPP is nontaxable for federal.

I put PPP1 in the 2020 section and PPP2 in the 2021 section since I wanted to separate two PPP loans. I treated both of them as tax-exempt income in 2021 based on different rules-PPP1 is as forgiveness was applied in 2021 and PPP2 is as expenses were paid in 2021. So I need two different boxes.

0 Cheers
Couls Law
Level 3

"Since when does the IRS have to make sense? "

It's not the IRS I'm questioning here, it's Lacerte.  The F1120S instruction never say to file a 2020 statement on 2021.  It simply says do not file an amended return to attach a statement to 2020 if you claimed the tax-exempt income in 2020.  Yet in Lacerte you have to enter data for 2020 in order to clear the critical diagnostic.  That doesn't make sense.  I have a client that didn't receive any PPP money until 2021.      

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You don’t file an amended return because you can just attach it the current year return.  That doesn’t sound overly confusing 

Slava Ukraini!
Couls Law
Level 3

The IRS never says to include a statement for 2020 on 2021.  And what am what am I supposed to do to clear the critical diagnostic for the client that received round 1 in 2021?     

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"The IRS never says to include a statement for 2020 on 2021"

Ok, if you say so ----------- although a lot of folks may disagree with that statement.

Slava Ukraini!
Couls Law
Level 3

Point to it.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

>>>>>>>>> Google

That's all the pointing I am doing.  Personally I don't care what you do with your returns.  If you think the whole thing is a bunch of BS, that isn't my problem ---- it's yours.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

"....Point to it."

REV PROC  2021-48, & 2021-49

I suggest a bit of light reading this weekend.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"