Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overriding Qualified Dividend Allocation on Final Return Form 1041

I have a final complex trust return which did not actually distribute until January 2023.  Client wants to file final tax return in 2022 and pay all tax within trust. No distributions in 2022. How do I override the allocation of qualified dividends so that the trust is allocated all and none to beneficiaries, line 2b? I would like to get the benefit of qualified dividends in the Schedule D tax computation. When return is marked final, it automatically assumes these are all beneficiary.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're not doing this correctly. Either they're making a 663(b) election and the income flows out on K-1s; or 2023 is the final return.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5

Technical support found the answer for me today. On screen 2.1 in estate and trust information, the very last option right above bankruptcy estate allows you to designate how much qualified dividend is allocated to the beneficiaries. I put a -1 in the box and now all of the qualified dividend is allocated to the trust and it gets capital gains rate benefit for that allocation.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

A final return means all income and principal has been distributed, ergo income passes out on the K-1s.

Ex-AllStar

This one did not distribute anything until 2023, so all income belongs to the trust which should get the benefit of capital gains rates on its qualified dividends. Client prefers to wrap up trust in 2022 and insists the distribution is the only activity in 2023. It should have no income reported to it in 2023. Thus, we are marking 2022 final even though not technically final.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're not doing this correctly. Either they're making a 663(b) election and the income flows out on K-1s; or 2023 is the final return.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

".....Client prefers"

You can't always get what you want.   Most of my clients would prefer to not pay taxes; that's not an option. 

Listen to Susan.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"