Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

missing documentation letter from VA department of taxation

cia6691
Level 2

Has anyone had clients report receiving a "missing documentation" letter from the VA Department of Taxation?  I had two clients today report they received such letters and Schedule A was not received with their state tax return.  I am trying to determine if this is a Lacerte issue or an issue with VA Department of Taxation processing.  Thanks in advance for your shared insight.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
cia6691
Level 2

I followed up with Lacerte regarding this matter and they identified an issue within Lacerte  with the Limited Deductions Worksheet for Line 17 of the Virginia Schedule A not being generated as part of the e-file or printed return submission.  Below is a copy of the email response I received today from Lacerte.

Thank you for reaching out to Lacerte Email Support. We understand the importance of resolving concerns and questions promptly, allowing you to proceed with your returns without further delays. We appreciate your patience and cooperation throughout this process.

We want to assure you that your concern has been received and acknowledged by our team.  After thorough investigation, we were able to duplicate the issue you reported, and our findings indicate that the program is experiencing an issue with not generating the Limited Deductions Worksheet for Line 17 of the Virginia Schedule A as part of the e-file and/or printed return submission.  Please be assured that your feedback has been invaluable in helping us identify and address this matter.  To ensure that you stay informed about the progress of the investigation and the resolution of the issue, we have linked your email address to the corresponding investigation, identified as INV-89353.  You will receive regular updates via email as more information becomes available.  However, at this time, we regret to inform you that we are unable to provide an estimated timeframe for when an update or resolution will be available.  Rest assured, our dedicated team is diligently working on resolving the issue and minimizing any inconvenience caused.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you or your business. Your experience with Lacerte Tax is of utmost importance to us, and we appreciate your patience as we strive to improve and resolve the issue within the shortest possible timeframe.  Should you have any further questions or require additional assistance, please feel free to reach out to our support team. We are here to help and provide you with the necessary support throughout this process.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for your valuable contribution in improving the Lacerte Tax program. We value your business and remain committed to delivering a reliable and efficient tax solution

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15
cia6691
Level 2

Thanks Bob - I appreciate you directing me to the other message string regarding this issue. I understand that transmission glitches can occur, however, I would like to better understand the root cause of the issue.  We had two clients in the last week reach regarding this same issue. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

My guess is that this a VA thing and not an Intuit thing.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@sjrcpa wrote:

My guess is that this a VA thing and not an Intuit thing.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time VATax has sent out automated letters requesting information they already have.  They had a problem a few years ago with OSC attachments.

We've seen similar posts from both ProSeries and Lacerte users which also suggests the problem is not on the transmission end.

I haven't heard any chatter in the VA Society of CPAs community forum about similar problems (yet).  Also haven't seen anything on the Drake forum.  So it could go either way, Intuit glitch or VATax glitch.  I'm placing my bet with SJR's guess as a VATax problem, they don't have the best track record.  For example, they're hoping to have 2021 PTET returns ready to file by mid-October of this year (gotta love retroactive legislation)!

<knock wood>  I haven't seen any clients with letters yet.  I did have one client get a bigger refund from VA than expected with no explanation letter received but she made sporadic ES payments during the year and my guess is that she missed telling me about one of them.  We'll see if/when that letter comes.

Rick

cia6691
Level 2

I followed up with Lacerte regarding this matter and they identified an issue within Lacerte  with the Limited Deductions Worksheet for Line 17 of the Virginia Schedule A not being generated as part of the e-file or printed return submission.  Below is a copy of the email response I received today from Lacerte.

Thank you for reaching out to Lacerte Email Support. We understand the importance of resolving concerns and questions promptly, allowing you to proceed with your returns without further delays. We appreciate your patience and cooperation throughout this process.

We want to assure you that your concern has been received and acknowledged by our team.  After thorough investigation, we were able to duplicate the issue you reported, and our findings indicate that the program is experiencing an issue with not generating the Limited Deductions Worksheet for Line 17 of the Virginia Schedule A as part of the e-file and/or printed return submission.  Please be assured that your feedback has been invaluable in helping us identify and address this matter.  To ensure that you stay informed about the progress of the investigation and the resolution of the issue, we have linked your email address to the corresponding investigation, identified as INV-89353.  You will receive regular updates via email as more information becomes available.  However, at this time, we regret to inform you that we are unable to provide an estimated timeframe for when an update or resolution will be available.  Rest assured, our dedicated team is diligently working on resolving the issue and minimizing any inconvenience caused.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you or your business. Your experience with Lacerte Tax is of utmost importance to us, and we appreciate your patience as we strive to improve and resolve the issue within the shortest possible timeframe.  Should you have any further questions or require additional assistance, please feel free to reach out to our support team. We are here to help and provide you with the necessary support throughout this process.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for your valuable contribution in improving the Lacerte Tax program. We value your business and remain committed to delivering a reliable and efficient tax solution