Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married Filing Joint to married Filing Separate

Gene O
Level 1

preparing a Marrried Filing Joint return.  The MFJ vs. MFS Comparison indicates that MFS will yield a tax savings of $1,500.  Is there a way in Lacerte that the returns can be split automatically, or must I prepare separate input and file for the spouse?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

the MFS splitting function (from the MFJ file) is one of the cool things available in Lacerte.

You mentioned  "The MFJ vs. MFS Comparison".   Were you referring to  the MFJ/MFS Wksht?

(1)  If yes, that would mean you check the MFJ vs MFS Comparison box in the Filing Status Section of Screen 1 (Client Info).  If so, in the MFJ/MFS Wksht, do you see the Greenish link (CLICK HERE TO SPLIT THIS RETURN)  below the line of 

MARRIED FILING SEPARATE GENERATED A TENTATIVE TAX SAVINGS OF $XXXX?

Click the greenish link and the MFJ file will be split into two.  NO need to retype the info.  The MFJ file remains intact.  Of course you would need to make the necessary changes in the TWO MFS files.

(2) If NO, go to Screen 1, and check the MFJ vs MFS Comparison box in the Filing Status section.  

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

the MFS splitting function (from the MFJ file) is one of the cool things available in Lacerte.

You mentioned  "The MFJ vs. MFS Comparison".   Were you referring to  the MFJ/MFS Wksht?

(1)  If yes, that would mean you check the MFJ vs MFS Comparison box in the Filing Status Section of Screen 1 (Client Info).  If so, in the MFJ/MFS Wksht, do you see the Greenish link (CLICK HERE TO SPLIT THIS RETURN)  below the line of 

MARRIED FILING SEPARATE GENERATED A TENTATIVE TAX SAVINGS OF $XXXX?

Click the greenish link and the MFJ file will be split into two.  NO need to retype the info.  The MFJ file remains intact.  Of course you would need to make the necessary changes in the TWO MFS files.

(2) If NO, go to Screen 1, and check the MFJ vs MFS Comparison box in the Filing Status section.  

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
itonewbie
Level 15

@joshuabarksatlcs has given some very useful input of the process.

@Gene O I'll just do the easy part and state the obvious. Lacerte's (and similarly for ProConnect Tax, which uses the same engine) MFJ/MFS comparison is very handy but less than perfect, especially for certain items that may not be easily split based on just TSJ coding.  You probably have already double checked all the details before posting this.  But in case you have not, do a thorough review of all the line items and satisfy yourself that MFS does yield better results before spending your time preparing the separate returns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar