Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Form 7203 calculating incorrectly in relation to N/D exps and debt basis

RCLLP
Level 2

S corp - form 7203 - I'm getting inconsistent answers given 2 situations:

Client has $7,512 of N/D expenses in the current year.  Shareholder has stock basis and debt basis.  The Shareholder has NOT made the 1.1367-1(g) election to change the ordering rules.

Situation 1: Shareholder has distributions in excess of stock basis and will be taxed on the excess. On page 1 of the 7203, starting with line 7 everything is zero (which makes sense). On page 2 I am expecting line 28 to read $7,512, but it reads zero.

Situation 2:  Shareholder's distributions don't exceed his stock basis.  He has $839 on line 7 of the 7203.  Lacerte is now showing the $7,512 N/D on line 8a and 9, reducing it by the line 7 stock basis and then putting the remaining N/D expenses of $6,673 on line 28 and reducing debt basis.

My understanding of not making the election under 1.1367-1(g) is that any remaining unused N/D expenses after applying them to the current year stock and debt basis calculations will not carryforward.  Lacerte's treatment is situation 1 is to not apply the N/D to the debt basis in the current year, but in situation 2 they are.  

Am I right or is Lacerte?  And, if I am right, how do I get Lacerte to return the correct answer?

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
RCLLP
Level 2

UPDATE:  I was right and an update has been made to Lacerte.  As of today (2/26/24) it is now calculating correctly.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4

Please call them. There is a way for you to send your tax return so that the programmers can verify the calculations.  Good post!

0 Cheers
RCLLP
Level 2

I will and I tried.   They conveniently weren't open on Saturday when I discovered this gem. 😞

If I remember I'll try to post an update for the answer.

you are a gift! 😘

0 Cheers
RCLLP
Level 2

UPDATE:  I was right and an update has been made to Lacerte.  As of today (2/26/24) it is now calculating correctly.