Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a critical diagnostic ref # 58843 stating that I can only file a 4898 on due date. I already had filed the 4898 and now I cannot file the tax return.

Brenda5
Level 1
This error was not there originally, but I had to reprint the return with a new file date since client was unavailable for signature before date expired.  
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 9. Remove the 1 in the first entry. You can complete the next 4 entries so the 4868 will print with the return, but you don't want that first entry. 

I think that will fix your situation.

P.S. My lovely daughter is Brenda, but to me she is #1. 🤗

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
taxed2max
Level 3

I think this is a bad diagnostic.  It only appears after the last Lacerte update, and never appeared in prior years.  The 1 on the first line is automatically populated when you do the batch efile of extensions, plus you WANT it to be there or else the invoice does not pick up charging for the extension prep.

Nonetheless, I think it is only a diagnostic for the efiling of the extension, not for the return itself.  Double check your ack file that the extension was accepted.  Then the filing of the return is a separate filing as the IRS already knows you have the extension so you are not refiling for it.  I would transmit even with the "critical" diagnostic, and hopefully someone at Lacerte is working on cleaning this up.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Did you do what I recommended? What was the result when you did. If you REALLY want someone at Lacerte to talk to - CALL THEM - Support https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/taxation/contact-lacerte-help/L4c6BR3CZ_US_...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
taxed2max
Level 3

yes, I did call and Lacerte affirmed my thoughts.  Have since filed returns with this "critical diagnostic" and have had zero problems with the single exception of Maryland just today.  So removed it for MD, transmitted, then put the 1 back in

0 Cheers