Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you electronically file a short year return when you change your accounting year

WileyCPA
Level 2

I filed for a change in tax year for a corporation. FYE was January 31, 2019. I file a 2018 year return for the FYE January 31, 2019. Now I need to file a short period return for the period February , 2019 through October 31, 2019. How can I do this? If I clear the efile using efile support tool when I go to efile it shows it's already been filed.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes you can do that. But I would file an extension and wait for the 2019 forms.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
abctax55
Level 15

The return with 1.31.19 year end should have been filed using 2018 software.

The short year return of Feb 2019 - Oct 2019 will need to be filed using 2019 software (and likely extended as the software isn't ready for prime time yet).

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
WileyCPA
Level 2

OK. But then when I go to file the 2019 return for November 1, 2019 through October 31, 2020, won't I have the same problem of the return will show it's already been filed? Since I'll have already filed the February 1, 2019 through October 31, 2019 return.

0 Cheers
WileyCPA
Level 2

OK. But then when I go to file the 2019 return for November 1, 2019 through October 31, 2020, won't I have the same problem of the return will show it's already been filed? Since I'll have already filed the February 1, 2019 through October 31, 2019 return.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes you will have that problem. The second return beginning in 2019 and ending in 2020 will need to be paper filed.

Ex-AllStar
WileyCPA
Level 2

OK Thanks. So what do you think? Would it be better to file the short form by paper. And if I did, the return is due January 15, 2020. Could I use 2018 forms, and hand write the beginning date?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes you can do that. But I would file an extension and wait for the 2019 forms.

Ex-AllStar
WileyCPA
Level 2

Yes. Thanks. That's what I am going to do. Just mailed the extension. Have a Merry Christmas.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I agree with Susan....file an extension & wait until the 2019 software is functional.

THEN decide which return will be more complicated (the short year, or the new fiscal year... IF possible 🙂  and paper file the *easier* one.

At least that way you won't have to white-out the year (2018) for the paper-filed return....  That does look so unprofessional.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"