Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I transfer tax files to new computer?

CELEST
Level 1

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
abctax55
Level 15

1) Back the files up to a thumb/flash drive (Highlight all your clients, Ctrl+B, then select the flash drive location.

2) "Sneaker net" that flash drive to the new computer.  Note the letter/location assigned to the flash drive.

3) Restore from the flash drive (Ctrl+R, group all).

Two observations:

*I always scan the flash drive for viruses/issues EVEN when moving between my own computers.

*Backing up your client data files *should* be a regular part of your daily routine (I often back up twice a day during filing season)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I have found that using "copy" and "Paste" is easier than backup and restore.

I copy the data directory to a thumb drive, move it to the new computer, set up the data directory I want and paste the files there.

In the tax program on the new computer make sure your directories are set to your new data directory, I use proseries, and in that I had to "rebuild homebase" or something like that within the software menu's, not sure for exact directions for lacerte.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@jeffmcpa2010 that works great with ProSeries, but Lacerte is a different animal and bit pickier when doing what you suggest.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns