Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I adjust Earned Income to exclude Medicaid Waiver Payments for calculating the EIC?

YoCPA
Level 1

I have a client, MFJ with two children. Their total Earned Income is $60k, which just barely disqualifies them from claiming the EIC. However, the wife worked as a live-in caregiver for her elderly mother. Per IRS Revenue Ruling 2014-7, these wages qualify as "difficulty of care" payments (also referred to as medicaid waiver payments). They are excludable from taxable income, and the taxpayer may decide whether or not to include/exclude them for the purposes of the EIC calculation. 

Excluding these caregiver wages from taxable income is easy enough, but Lacerte automatically INCLUDES them in the EIC calculation. I'd like to EXCLUDE them from the EIC calculation as well, which would lower their Earned Income to the point that they would qualify for the EIC. I'm not seeing any way to do this in the software - any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jharvey
Level 3

Have you tried going into the "Child Tax Credits, EIC, Other Credits" input screen and entering a negative adjustment in the EIC section for "Earned income"?

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
jharvey
Level 3

Have you tried going into the "Child Tax Credits, EIC, Other Credits" input screen and entering a negative adjustment in the EIC section for "Earned income"?