Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Transmission Error 703 - Duplicate SSN

CJR
Level 3

Does anyone have insight on how to resolve failed transmission due to Error 703?  After speaking with Lacerte customer support, I don't have a better understanding what the difference is between this error message and the fed reject "R0000-902-01: Taxpayer TIN must not be the same as a previously accepted return" besides that the failed transmission has not been sent to the IRS.  Are these returns stuck in limbo? Is there a way to verify if these taxpayers have been victims of identity fraud?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Someone else already filed a return with that SSN, or the client was a dummy and didnt read the instructions and used the Non Filer app to get the EIP.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
George4Tacks
Level 15

I believe the difference is that Intuit is catching a duplicate that has been filed through Intuit. I don't know if it means another has been filed through Lacerte, or just any of the Intuit Family. 

The only out is to paper file, which is a form of purgatory in today's IRS mail processing. If ID theft is involved, IRS will inform the client. https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification

Especially if this is a client new to you, verify your data entry and ask to see the Social Security card. Let the client know what is happening.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

@George4Tacks  "The only out is to paper file, which is a form of purgatory in today's IRS mail processing."

Why do you say that?  If the taxpayer is expecting a refund, he should have filed months ago.  Probably would have avoided this problem, too.  If it's a balance-due return, does anyone know if the private lockboxes are cashing checks?  And maybe he owes but can't pay right now.  Better to get the bill in November, than August.