Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Short Year Return (Partnership and S-Corp)

PTL
Level 1

2019 tax returns were filed for each entity.  PP and S-Corp need to file final 2/29/20 returns.  Obviously, 2020 software will not be available even with extensions.  Short year paper returns need to be filed.  Can I use the 2019 software to generate the 2020 short year returns?  If yes, how do I get the 2019 balance sheet, depreciation, etc to transfer to the prior year for 2020.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes you can use the 2019 software to prepare the short year 2020 returns. You will be filing them on paper.

They won't proforma. You'll need to manually enter the 1/1/20 beginning balance sheet, capital accounts, basis, etc.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
PTL
Level 1

So basically copy the client and manually zero out all of the 2019 data and update the previous year information to reflect 2020.  UGH.  I had a feeling that was the case.  Was hoping for an easier solution.  Thanks.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Do as @sjrcpa says, but be sure to make a backup copy (I copy and renumber to NNNN-19 for the original, then when done NNNN-20 for the partial year). I then massage the 2019 return to make it work for 2020 and avoid additional REP fee. Remove the e-file check marks in Screen 1.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
George4Tacks
Level 15
It might be quicker to do proforma again, then less data to zero out. You will need to do REP again, but there should be no charge

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes, or re pro forma as George suggested.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers