Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EIN Number chnaged after entry into S-Corp Module

SICPA
Level 2

In the S-Corp module, the EIN numbver entered for a new entity chnaged to a different number after the screen was closed.  Now, when I go to chnage the number, it reverts back to the false number.  How do I correct this issue and why is this happening.  It appears to effect new clients entereind into 2022 Lacerte.

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on the looks of the question, I would lean more towards a typo than the software changing it.  But it is Intuit so anything is possible.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
SICPA
Level 2

So we had this happen 2x so far.  Its defiently not a typo, its a completly different EIN than entrered.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You might want to take a walk on the wild side and call support.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Edit your tables, where all the previous EIN's entered have been stored.  Something has been cross referenced.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
SICPA
Level 2

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Interesting response 😳

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

I thought so too.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
DatabaseRobert
Level 4

OP: are you referring to the EIN of the entity whose return you are filing (input on page1/Client Info)?
  Or--as some respondents evidently think--the EIN of some party who is paying you (1099 issuer)?

If it is the second one, I agree: there may be an issue with your tables of saved payer information.  This is why I dislike using tables of saved information, and long-hand type all of my entries.

If it is the first one, and your CLIENT info is getting changed, there may be "something goofy" with your primary data table.
 - Try CLPack (I believe this is now in the Lacerte Tool Hub).
 - Leave that client there, Ctrl+N(change Name) it to "#####BAD" (whatever the old number was, and suffix it somehow), and then Ctrl+A(dd) the actual client number again.  This preserves that data record in the client info table (in case there was something strange with just that one line of data), and forces a new line entirely.
 - Copy/Paste the EIN from a clean spot (like a blank/new NotePad file you opened).

Robert

Steffan
Level 2

We've had this issue for years, but it happens pretty rarely. We submitted tickets with Lacerte support, but it was never fixed.

We found that, for affected clients, typing the EIN into notepad and copy and pasting it into the EIN field in Lacerte gets it to stick.

It is unfortunate, as you really have to be paying attention to catch when it happens.

0 Cheers
DatabaseRobert
Level 4

If it is able to be "fixed" by a clean copy/paste (such as "type into NotePad, copy from there") then it immediately makes me think that there is a "dirty" paste as the culprit in the first place.
  (For example, highlighting something inside a formatted email message may pick up an invisible character, like an "Enter" [also called <carriage return>] or "Tab".)
  Many of those characters are invisible on-screen, they just exist in what goes into the Lacerte data field.

This is why I try to train all of our users to use "movement" to get to a field (Tab, Enter, up/down arrows), so the colored highlight is on the input area desired, and then just "type".  That destroys whatever was there, and inputs what you type.
  If we click on a field, we may very well click too much, and now we are in edit WITHIN the field's entry.  Sure we take out/type in new characters, but those invisible "Tab" or "Enter" at the front/end of the field value are still there screwing things up.

Robert