Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download full cd image

dantaxman52
Level 2

I want to keep an air gap between my client's data and the internet. 

In prior years I could use the cd to install the current year's program on a stand alone computer.  That option has been taken away from me.  For the first time in 30+ years I am forced to expose prior year client data to install the current year's program.  Nor, for 2023 tax year, is there an equivalent available to the CD, like "Download full cd image", as there was in prior years.

the ostensible reason for for discontinuing the cd distribution was to cut down on the "environmental cost".  The environmental cost of having a program available to duplicate the function of the cd would be minimal. 

Client data security is a top priority.   If bad actors can gain access to data in multinational firms, how do I as a "one person shop" keep them away from my client's data?  The best answer is to maintain an air-gap so the data NEVER has the potential to be exposed in ANY WAY from the computers under my control.

Half my clients file on paper at their request.  Please help me protect their data.

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

See Common questions about CD and DVD availability for tax year 2023 >>  Is there a way to switch back to Download With CD for TY23? 

Hope this helps! 

0 Cheers
dantaxman52
Level 2

Been there.  I go to my dashboard.  I went there on my own after reading the instructions.  I been sent there by customer service.  I have shared my screen with them.   There is no option to down load full cd on my dash board.

abctax55
Level 15

@dantaxman52 

FWIW - that option shows on my dashboard.

Oops.... I was looking at 2022.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

Must have very secure office doors and windows, to prevent evildoers from breaking in and stealing the computers.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

What are you going to do when software becomes cloud only?

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

AND for that one-half of your clients that are e-filed.... how do you NOT connect to the internet?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dantaxman52
Level 2

Two computers.  one connects to the internet.  I used to be able to do all my work on a computer that does not connect to the internet.  I would transfer data to the internet computer for those who wished to e-file.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

For the other half, how do you secure the mail at the Post Office?  What happens if someone drives off with the USPS truck with those paper returns in it?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I bought two new computers for the office last year.  Both are about the size of a box of Kleenex.  Neither has a CD/DVD drive.  I have an external drive but I bought it so long ago, I don't think it connects to these new machines.  Leaving data stored on a computer, even one that is not connected to the Internet, is not the safest form of security.  If you are really worried about that, store the data on a CD, make two copies, keep one in a safe deposit box and the other in a floor safe that cannot be removed from the premises. 

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ok @dantaxman52 Thank you. I'll see what I can find out. 

0 Cheers