Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Louisiana accept a non-resident filing as a professional gambler on a Schedule C?

CPA_in_Texas
Level 1

My client is a resident of Texas, and is filing her professional winnings/losses/allowable deductions on Schedule C for federal purposes.  She gambles extensively in NM, OK & LA.  In 2021 Louisiana changed her return, and instead of her getting a refund of $50k+ from LA for state withholding, they only gave back $4,700.  I appealed the decision and requested an explanation of what and why changes were made, but neither of us ever received any correspondence from the LA Revenue dept.

Now we are filing 2022 the same way, just taking our chances on them not changing her return again and keeping her refund.  Again the overpayment from LA is around $50k.  I have researched the NR instructions for filing in LA, but have found nothing in regard to reporting as a professional gambler.  Plenty of information for professional athletes, but nothing for professional gamblers.

Can anyone familiar with LA rules shed any light on my situation?

0 Cheers