Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dividend distributions coming out negative when using Lacerte Trial Balance Utility

DominiqueT
Level 1

I'm trying to use the Lacerte Trial Balance Utility for the first time and I'm trying it on a C-corp. The trial balance looks fine. The Dividend distributions are showing up with a positive (debit balance) like I would expect; however, in the tax line assignment tab screen it's showing up as a negative and is posting to the return as a negative. I mapped it to Sch M-2, Cash distributions. Why is it showing up as negative and how can I fix it?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

The trial balance transfer utility is NOT perfect; some items must be manually adjusted.

Such as distributions/dividends and a few other balance sheet items

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

The trial balance transfer utility is NOT perfect; some items must be manually adjusted.

Such as distributions/dividends and a few other balance sheet items

( Generic Comment )"
DominiqueT
Level 1

Unfortunately, it is not letting me manually adjust the amount. The amounts column is locked for editing. In the options screen where I'm supposed to be able to allow editing of various columns, all of the boxes are grayed out and I can't check/uncheck any of them. Is my only option to go into the companies return file and adjust the numbers there?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Yes... and that's what I meant.

Let the numbers transfer, then reconcile the return. I do it that way, and it takes me very little time to 'fix' these little idiosyncrasies once you learn what they are. Fixed Assets & Accum. Deprec are always tricky too.

( Generic Comment )"