Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't generate a CA form 3840

dlmcferran
Level 3

I'm trying to generate a California form 3840 but can't get the program to give it to me.  I've filled in all the information (I think) in the California Like-Kind section of depreciation but nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis McFerran

RTRP, San Jose, CA

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
6 Replies 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Is there any CA income, or is this someone that moved out of state and needs to file the 3840?

Did you complete Screen 55 to complete the  540NR?

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
dlmcferran
Level 3

This is a full year CA resident who did a 1031 selling a CA property and acquiring 6 properties.  One of these was CA and the balance were out of State properties

540NR is not an issue.

Dennis McFerran

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

*Maybe* has to do with the fact the instructions aren't available on the FTB website?

Lacerte often uses that as an excuse for the forms being 'unavailable'.

Former Chump..umm... AllStar...This message was typed from 6 feet away so you can safely read it immediately.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
dlmcferran
Level 3

It's not a problem with form availability. In fact I'm trying to generate it from both the 2019 and 2020 programs and I get the same lack of response.

Dennis McFerran

0 Cheers
carol8
Level 1

I am having the same issue.  I have entered all the information.  The 8824 is correct, and I have entered all the information in the CA Like Kind Exchanges, but the CA For 3840 does not generate.  Were you able to get resolution?

0 Cheers
dlmcferran
Level 3

No, I finally did the form manually and electronically attached it to the return.

Dennis

0 Cheers