Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't generate a CA form 3840

dlmcferran
Level 3

I'm trying to generate a California form 3840 but can't get the program to give it to me.  I've filled in all the information (I think) in the California Like-Kind section of depreciation but nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis McFerran

RTRP, San Jose, CA

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

16 Comments 16
George4Tacks
Level 15

Is there any CA income, or is this someone that moved out of state and needs to file the 3840?

Did you complete Screen 55 to complete the  540NR?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
dlmcferran
Level 3

This is a full year CA resident who did a 1031 selling a CA property and acquiring 6 properties.  One of these was CA and the balance were out of State properties

540NR is not an issue.

Dennis McFerran

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

*Maybe* has to do with the fact the instructions aren't available on the FTB website?

Lacerte often uses that as an excuse for the forms being 'unavailable'.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dlmcferran
Level 3

It's not a problem with form availability. In fact I'm trying to generate it from both the 2019 and 2020 programs and I get the same lack of response.

Dennis McFerran

0 Cheers
carol8
Level 1

I am having the same issue.  I have entered all the information.  The 8824 is correct, and I have entered all the information in the CA Like Kind Exchanges, but the CA For 3840 does not generate.  Were you able to get resolution?

0 Cheers
dlmcferran
Level 3

No, I finally did the form manually and electronically attached it to the return.

Dennis

0 Cheers
Cheryl3
Level 2

Was anyone ever able to generate the initial Form 3840 in Lacerte?  I'm having the same problem on CA Form 568.  Have tried multiple times, multiple ways... any help here?

0 Cheers
zoe
Level 2

Did you finally resolve this problem? I'm also trying to generate a initial Form 3840 in Lacert...

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Try Screen 57.017, last choice under St. Other on the left side.

( Generic Comment )"
zoe
Level 2

Thanks. I found Screen 57.017 before I asked for help here, the notes on the top indicates that this screen is used to generate the Annual or Final Form 3840. The box "Annual FTB 3840" will be checked on the form, while I need to report it as "Initial FTB 3840"

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Looks like you have to enter via Screen 22, Sections > down to CA Like-Kind Exchanges (3840).

( 1=amended, 2=final (initial box will be checked if no entry )

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
zoe
Level 2

That's the question. Lacerte doesn't generate Form 3840 if enter via Screen 22, dont't know how to fix it...

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

First year of the exchange - Use the exchange wizard, or other means to generate IRS 8824. If the exchange property was in CA and the replacement is in CA, no CA 3840 is required.

If the replacement is out of state, you will need to enter ALL the information into Screen 22 for California Like-Kind Exchanges (3840) Just print the IRS 8824 and grumble a lot while you enter the same information (plus a bit for the out of state info)

If this is not a first year and you have moved out of state, you must complete Screen 55 to trigger the CA NR Just enter 1 for NR and the Nonresident of CA Entire Year state of residence. Then go over to the bottom of Screen 57 California Like-Kind Exchanges (3840) Annual/Final Data and start entering the data from the prior year exchange ALL OF THE PARTS. You are permitted to grumble while you do this.

!!! 3840 is possible, but you have to work to get there !!!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

@zoe  -  It does for me.... so I don't know what else to tell you.

IF you've followed my suggestions & @George4Tacks more detailed info and you still can't get it to produce, I suggest calling support.  

( Generic Comment )"
IntuitGabi

Hopefully these steps give some clarity. Make sure the 8824 is already generating with the federal return and that you have the Step 5 box checked. 

____
"How do you Generate Form 3840 for a California Like Kind Exchange

Note: Screen numbers below are based on the Individual Tax module.

After the initial filing year, Lacerte will proforma the California information to Screen 57.019, until the final Form 3840 is filed. If this is the year the asset is being exchanged, use Screen 22 Depreciation (4562) to generate Form 3840.

1. Select the asset located in CA being exchanged
  2. Scroll down to the Like Kind Exchanges (8824) section
  3. Utilize either the Like Kind Exchange Wizard or the input in the section to enter the information
  4. Scroll to the California Like Kind Exchanges (3840) section
  5. Check the box labeled Exchanged like-kind property located in California for property located outside California (MANDATORY)
  6. Input any additional information related to the CA exchange" 
**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
kk2250062
Level 1

Thank you so much for this helpful tip! I was going crazy and talked to 3 different Lacerte representatives that had no clue how to solve this issue. 

0 Cheers