Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a tax return be e-filed with a credit freeze?

aboffice
Level 1

My client put a freeze on her credit due to giving out personal information to phone scammer.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Yes.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15

Yes.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

But I'm not sure if that will pass the verification process though.  It does appear that your client may need to temporarily lift the freeze in order for the verification process to go through.

I don't have any personal experience in this, so George could well be right.  FWIW, this article from the IRS about transcript requests, which presumably employ the same verification process, seems to suggest that keeping the credit report frozen could cause problems: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript-faqs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
aboffice
Level 1
That's what I'm afraid of because I know in the past I have had to have a client temporarily lift a credit freeze to get a transcript. Thank you for your input.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
NP.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I have credit freeze. I efiled last year with no problem.
I have not yet filed this year.
Transcript is a different problem.

0 Cheers
aboffice
Level 1
Thank you!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Good to know, George!
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
I had to do a credit freeze years back because the city income tax department where I live got hacked into. I have never had a problem efiling.
0 Cheers