Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arizona individual income tax

daddyhawki
Level 1

ssue involves taxpayer client.

E-filed individual AZ return (Form 140) reporting refund of $64 (Form 140 & Tax Summary report this amount). Sent 10·05·23.

In the e-file status tab it was noted:

Description of Activity

Filing Accepted - This Arizona Filing was accepted by the agency on October 05, 2023

E-file Returns

AZ Balance Due $662

I am not finding how or where this refund of $64 became $662 debt.  Client received ADOR notice dated 10·21·23 reporting amount due $662 plus interest plus penalties, total $711.20.  Notice did not include explanation page.  I am looking for explanation for this change.  Is my only recourse is to obtain AZ POA from married couple (now officially divorced) and send letter requesting explanation?

I have tried the phone with both ADOR & Lacerte (pack a lunch), you will be officially eligible for Social Security before get assistance on the phone.

Jack M. Bernard, CPA

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
BobKamman
Level 15

Were there estimated-tax payments claimed?  Are you sure they were made?  (Especially if now-divorced spouses were supposed to send them.)

Was there state tax withheld?  Are you sure it was Arizona and not some other state?  Does any of it come close to the $726 difference?

A PoA from just one of them should be enough, although trying to convince a new hire of that might be difficult.  Many ADoR notices have an email address where you (or client) can respond.

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Compare your PDF copy of the tax return to what Lacerte is currently showing, if you're saying that the e-file status tab shows an AZ balance due.