Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are losses from insurance annuity surrender tax deductible

hgtc
Level 5

taxpayer surrendered his life insurance annuity with losses.  Are these losses tax deductible?

If yes, capital losses?  Or under Sch A - misc deudctions subject to 2% AGI?

How about tax treatment for CA?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

I don't know what a life insurance annuity is.  Just an annuity that, like most of them, is sold by a company that also sells life insurance?  Or an annuity that also has a life insurance "kicker" that pays more than its cash value if the owner dies, so the "loss" is more than likely due to the life-insurance premium included in the price?  Those used to be popular.  Haven't seen any lately.  Agents make more money selling annuities with a long-term-care "kicker."

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did you google:

are life insurance annuity losses tax deductible

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
hgtc
Level 5

Yes,  some article said "misc deduction - 2%".  Some said no.  Since for federal, they suspend misc deduction.  so, no tax issue.  But, how about CA?  I could not find answers.  Can you help?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I don't know what a life insurance annuity is.  Just an annuity that, like most of them, is sold by a company that also sells life insurance?  Or an annuity that also has a life insurance "kicker" that pays more than its cash value if the owner dies, so the "loss" is more than likely due to the life-insurance premium included in the price?  Those used to be popular.  Haven't seen any lately.  Agents make more money selling annuities with a long-term-care "kicker."

0 Cheers