Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to do a Hawaii return because of a K-1. I can not find how I can generate a non resident return. How do a generate a non resident return?

Phillyjkr
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
poolcleaner
Level 9

I use Pro Series but wherever you look at Hawaii return, you want to choose Hawaii Form N-15 which is for non residents and part year residents.  Hawaii is one of the fairly logical state returns to use.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

First look at the amount of HI income to see if you really need to file. Look up the HI tax booklet and find "Who Must File". I always tend to assume - FILE to be safe. Be sure you know of the extra cost for another state return and make sure client is aware of the extra cost BEFORE adding the REP fee for the return. 

Screen 1 - Add HI as a state. Probably still keep what you have as resident state at the top of 1. 

Screen 20, Part II - enter Percentage of source income as 1 for HI, the rest of the info should be for your resident state (i.e. If you do a Ctrl + W and look at Screen 20, the only entry with HI should be code 501)

Screen 55.421 for HI, you should enter some district (e.g. Hawaii District Office) based on what you see for an address on the K-1 and client State/Country of residency. 

This is not a complete answer, but should get you off to a good start. There should be a credit for taxes paid to another state on one of the two state returns. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers