lefty's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lefty's Posts

Intuit needs to fix the broken URL on the error popup window that says Error Message Proseries has detected an issue with Microsoft ,NET ... Learn More It gores to this busted link https://prose... See more...
Intuit needs to fix the broken URL on the error popup window that says Error Message Proseries has detected an issue with Microsoft ,NET ... Learn More It gores to this busted link https://proseries.pcg.intuit.com/homebase/dotnet_machineconfig Which does not exist! If it went to solution below it would save a lot of time. At least go to a domain that exists! https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/system-responses/proseries-detected-issue-microsoft-net-framework/L9EtuP2Ph_US_en_US?uid=lriqdj09
that's the thing, I didnt "put" it anywhere. I just entered the 1099-R on a proseries 1099-R form, then Proseries "put" it where it put it.  I need to be better about checking the software's work.
Its embarrassing, but I couldn't figure out how to do it proper. they filed separately the year before (normally the software transfers all that state refund info but i guess I didn't pick the right ... See more...
Its embarrassing, but I couldn't figure out how to do it proper. they filed separately the year before (normally the software transfers all that state refund info but i guess I didn't pick the right file to transfer because all the state refund info was empty) I knew since one of them itemized the year before it would be taxable income and I just wanted their ass to be covered.
Got 2022 CP2057 letter saying we didn't report $4,108 1099-R with distribution code 8. But I did! It shows up on 1040 line 1h "Other Earned Income". When I double click that it opens up the Wages, S... See more...
Got 2022 CP2057 letter saying we didn't report $4,108 1099-R with distribution code 8. But I did! It shows up on 1040 line 1h "Other Earned Income". When I double click that it opens up the Wages, Salaries & Tips Worksheet, and its under I (as in indigo) 1b. At the end of the day it was included in taxable income, but what do we do about the IRS letter?  IRS is asking me to amend the return (why fix what ain't broke?!)   Am I missing something???????
Client got a letter from NY saying they couldn't finish processing her 2022 IT-203 because they need the IT-558 since her return included a recomputed federal adjusted gross income amount without inc... See more...
Client got a letter from NY saying they couldn't finish processing her 2022 IT-203 because they need the IT-558 since her return included a recomputed federal adjusted gross income amount without including the required form.  She is a W2 teacher, and has nothing to do with a trust, estate, S-Corp, Partnership, etc.  From what I can see the 2022 IT-558 only has entry fields pertaining to trust, estate, beneficiaries, partnership, etc but none of that applies to her.  What on earth do I do?  The only adjustment to her federal income is the $300 teacher credit.
Is it per taxpayer or per loan?  I have a brother and sister that decided to buy a primary home together in 2022.  The loan on that house is for $1.5Million.  They are both on the title and loan.  Do... See more...
Is it per taxpayer or per loan?  I have a brother and sister that decided to buy a primary home together in 2022.  The loan on that house is for $1.5Million.  They are both on the title and loan.  Do we apply the $750K limit to the $1.5M, then take that remaining interest and split it between them? Or does each taxpayer get to apply the $750K limit to that $1.5M loan (in this case the interest is not limited, whatever interest was paid in 2022 gets split 50/50)?
Great question (my first question to the client). They sent the closing statement from home purchase, the mortgage interest limitation worksheet, and the 1098.
My client got the mortgage interest audit.  Turns out they over-reported their interest since the loan is more than $750,000.  We expected them to adjust the taxes and send a bill. Instead they sent... See more...
My client got the mortgage interest audit.  Turns out they over-reported their interest since the loan is more than $750,000.  We expected them to adjust the taxes and send a bill. Instead they sent a response saying they are not allowed to deduct any interest at all for 2021 because "they did not establish the amount shown was interest expense and was actually paid". What documents can we provide to prove mortgage interest was legit and it was paid (besides the 1098 form and maybe the closing statement from the purchase)?
Taxpayer has an IPPIN, but proseries is saying spouse pin is missing. Spouse never got a pin (never signed up for one). So she went and signed up for one so we could efile. It's rejected again, now s... See more...
Taxpayer has an IPPIN, but proseries is saying spouse pin is missing. Spouse never got a pin (never signed up for one). So she went and signed up for one so we could efile. It's rejected again, now saying the dependent pin wasn't entered (dependent never signed up for a pin). What the heck is going on??? This family is adamant that only the taxpayer signed up for an IPPIN.  So why is proseries saying the whole family has one?
But how is that possible?  Assuming that H&R Block bank account is still open and active, I guess we could call H&R Block and explain the situation and ask them to cut her a check (I dont expect that... See more...
But how is that possible?  Assuming that H&R Block bank account is still open and active, I guess we could call H&R Block and explain the situation and ask them to cut her a check (I dont expect that to be easy). The only reason IRS would mail her a check is if they try to deposit to that H&R bank account and its inactive so it bounces back and the IRS then cuts a check.
I just e-filed a client's 2022 return. She told me to use the same bank account as the year before, not realizing the prior year return had her refunds going to H&R Block's bank account.  I'm not aff... See more...
I just e-filed a client's 2022 return. She told me to use the same bank account as the year before, not realizing the prior year return had her refunds going to H&R Block's bank account.  I'm not affiliated with H&R block in any way. (the proir year she told them to take their fee out of her refund, and so her prior year 1040 shows H&R Block's bank details for direct deposit of her refund).   I thought, I will just efile an amended return, changing the bank account info for direct deposit.  Turns out the E-file form for 1040-X isn't available until 3 weeks from now, at which point H&R Block will already have her refund direct deposited (she's no longer their customer). I dont know what to do and I'm freaking out.  
It's taxable on federal but not on California. Anyone know how to subtract it from income other than on schedule CA, section B, Line Z?
They checked their bank account, they didn't receive the 3rd stimulus. and they didn't get a check in the mail (this person keeps good records). So I added the recovery rebate credit to their 2021 ... See more...
They checked their bank account, they didn't receive the 3rd stimulus. and they didn't get a check in the mail (this person keeps good records). So I added the recovery rebate credit to their 2021 tax return. then the IRS denied the credit. Their income qualifies them, so how do we go about tracking that 3rd payment or getting to the bottom of this?
I have been meaning to use notes more effectively. Great suggestion.   Thanks,  
I have a client who was forced to receive RMD payments from an old pension (job they had in 90's). The were able to read the fine print and prove that they don't need to take RMD at 62 and they never... See more...
I have a client who was forced to receive RMD payments from an old pension (job they had in 90's). The were able to read the fine print and prove that they don't need to take RMD at 62 and they never cashed the checks. The pension stopped sending checks  eventually but they issued a 1099-R for $7000. The client doesn't have this money. I hate to have this retiree who just lost her husband have to pay tax on money she doesn't have. I was thinking of checking box B1 (Entire distribution rolled over) Any ideas? 
I should be more clear the "harm" was not income tax related. I asked the client for Child care expenses because the child was still in return and then I realized child was deceased.  I'm not sure bu... See more...
I should be more clear the "harm" was not income tax related. I asked the client for Child care expenses because the child was still in return and then I realized child was deceased.  I'm not sure but the checklist I sent out probably asked too. My request to Intuit is to make sure we don't bring up the loss of child over and over unnecessarily, not to mis-file a return with a dependent that no longer exists.  
I had an unsettling and avoidable interaction with clients who were grieving the loss of a child. I had entered the DOD in the 2020 return and PS still transferred the deceased child to 2021. Not on... See more...
I had an unsettling and avoidable interaction with clients who were grieving the loss of a child. I had entered the DOD in the 2020 return and PS still transferred the deceased child to 2021. Not only should anything that goes away in a final and permanent way be removed but especially something that can cause harm like this. I can think of no reason to keep the deceased in the return.  Intuit please have some decency and take care of this.
Has anyone else been getting Truist bank 1098 that look wrong? 2 clients now with Truist bank 1098 mortgage interest that is impossibly low. $500K 30 year mortgage with only $1400 in interest paid ... See more...
Has anyone else been getting Truist bank 1098 that look wrong? 2 clients now with Truist bank 1098 mortgage interest that is impossibly low. $500K 30 year mortgage with only $1400 in interest paid over 12 months. At 3.5% you would pay that much in one month! Its almost like the amount paid is just for one month not all year.  
The process cannot access the file "\\<MACHINE>\Proseries\ProNet21\21Data\ProTaxExport.xml" because it is being used by another process. ProTaxExport.xml is the file that PS exports with the extract... See more...
The process cannot access the file "\\<MACHINE>\Proseries\ProNet21\21Data\ProTaxExport.xml" because it is being used by another process. ProTaxExport.xml is the file that PS exports with the extracted Client Data for each return. It looks like reads this extracted data and compiles the Email with the following.  ProNet21\common\ClientChecklistTemplate.xml (Checklist email template) ProNet21\common\GlobalText.xml  (The information that goes in the Checklist email) ProNet21\common\PDFEmailGlobalText.xml  (The information that goes in the Checklist PDF) ProNet21\common\PDFEmailTemplate.xml (Pdf template) The file handle to ProTaxExport.xml is not being released before the next checklist is started.
I'm only sending Client Checklist to clients that have a non-null Taxpayer E-mail Address field. I'm getting this error only sometimes: "Unable to E-Mail client: Client-Email address is blank" The ... See more...
I'm only sending Client Checklist to clients that have a non-null Taxpayer E-mail Address field. I'm getting this error only sometimes: "Unable to E-Mail client: Client-Email address is blank" The Taxpayer E-mail Address is populated and the error message is confusing. There is no such field in Hombase or in Query called "Client-Email address"