Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove deceased dependents on transfer

lefty
Level 4

I had an unsettling and avoidable interaction with clients who were grieving the loss of a child. I had entered the DOD in the 2020 return and PS still transferred the deceased child to 2021.

Not only should anything that goes away in a final and permanent way be removed but especially something that can cause harm like this. I can think of no reason to keep the deceased in the return. 

Intuit please have some decency and take care of this.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
taxes96786
Level 9

use the note option on the dependent line to remind yourself from year to year that there is no longer a dependent.

I use the notes option so I don't have to keep looking up the same info from year to year. I enter things like mortgage account #s, 8829 % of use of home, etc on the appropriate line of the return. Comes in handy as a reference.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
taxes96786
Level 9

Delete the dependent from current year. 

0 Cheers
lefty
Level 4

I should be more clear the "harm" was not income tax related. I asked the client for Child care expenses because the child was still in return and then I realized child was deceased.  I'm not sure but the checklist I sent out probably asked too. My request to Intuit is to make sure we don't bring up the loss of child over and over unnecessarily, not to mis-file a return with a dependent that no longer exists.  

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

use the note option on the dependent line to remind yourself from year to year that there is no longer a dependent.

I use the notes option so I don't have to keep looking up the same info from year to year. I enter things like mortgage account #s, 8829 % of use of home, etc on the appropriate line of the return. Comes in handy as a reference.

0 Cheers
lefty
Level 4

I have been meaning to use notes more effectively.

Great suggestion.

Thanks,

0 Cheers