oakhillsal's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oakhillsal's Posts

Update:  CA sent them a letter assigning an "Entity" number.  Apparently the state does that automatically, they just didn't send it to me.  Problem solved - thanks to all who responded.  This commun... See more...
Update:  CA sent them a letter assigning an "Entity" number.  Apparently the state does that automatically, they just didn't send it to me.  Problem solved - thanks to all who responded.  This community is such a great asset for us.
I didn't see that in the CA instructions; perhaps I was reading too fast.  If that is correct, then the original filings of the CA "C" were correct and the only thing I would need to do to satisfy th... See more...
I didn't see that in the CA instructions; perhaps I was reading too fast.  If that is correct, then the original filings of the CA "C" were correct and the only thing I would need to do to satisfy the CAFTB is complete the 568. (Which they demanded.) Am I correct in that thinking?
Return was originally filed with a Schedule C.  Now that an LLC is to be filed for CA, the Schedule C is no longer valid or needed.  I'm trying to remove the schedule c on the amended return.  Otherw... See more...
Return was originally filed with a Schedule C.  Now that an LLC is to be filed for CA, the Schedule C is no longer valid or needed.  I'm trying to remove the schedule c on the amended return.  Otherwise, I believe the same data is being reported twice.
Client filed as a partnership/LLC in 2018.  In 2018, client bought out partner and continued the LLC.  Client was advised to end the LLC and just use schedule C for both CA (California) and Fed purpo... See more...
Client filed as a partnership/LLC in 2018.  In 2018, client bought out partner and continued the LLC.  Client was advised to end the LLC and just use schedule C for both CA (California) and Fed purposes.  In 2019, client filed Schedule C for both fed and CA, same in 2020, and 2021.  However, he did not dissolve the LLC and expected and didn't inform me of that fact.  In 2022, the CA taxing authority demanded LLC returns for all the missing years (2019,2020, 2021).  I have completed the CA 568 forms using Proseries Professional and the CA option of filing the Schedule C as an LLC.  All worked perfectly until I tried to amend the CA personal return.  I tried deleting the schedule C and saving the data, but as soon as I reopen the file, the schedule C returns as a result of the Federal data.  I am wondering if anyone has a solution other than to eliminate the schedule C from the federal side and carefully check the CA state to make sure no data was lost that is needed.  I' hoping someone else has gone through this process.  Thanks.
Gee, that's like camping - getting up that early, but you are right, that may be the only way to get in line....  
I've been calling the IRS Practitioner hot line for days and days.  I can't even get into the queue.  As soon as the automated voice says it is transferring me to an expert, the message comes back, "... See more...
I've been calling the IRS Practitioner hot line for days and days.  I can't even get into the queue.  As soon as the automated voice says it is transferring me to an expert, the message comes back, "Due to the number of calls in the topic you have selected, we cannot answer you at this time."  Then comes the hang up... Anyone have any other number to call?
As it turns out from additional documentation from the client, it WAS a DRO sent to the pension payer and not a QDRO.  I appreciate all of you taking time to answer my question.  The receiving spouse... See more...
As it turns out from additional documentation from the client, it WAS a DRO sent to the pension payer and not a QDRO.  I appreciate all of you taking time to answer my question.  The receiving spouse may not be so happy when she gets a bill or notice for the $22,000 she received and probably didn't report.  Now, about those 1040Xs for prior years where it was not claimed.........Hmmmmmm. Again, thanks folks.
Client divorced prior to 2018.  A portion of his retirement payments is automatically deducted and sent to spouse.  1099R shows full amount of retirement in box 1 and taxable portion in box 2 (slight... See more...
Client divorced prior to 2018.  A portion of his retirement payments is automatically deducted and sent to spouse.  1099R shows full amount of retirement in box 1 and taxable portion in box 2 (slightly less)  but amount actually received is is the remainder AFTER the spousal support/alimony is deducted and forwarded to the spouse.  Two questions arise: 1-is spousal support considered alimony for tax purposes (the IRS articulates alimony and separate maintenance payments, but does not say spousal support)?  IRS section 71(b)(1) defies the term "alimony or separate maintenance payment" to mean any payment in cash if such payment is received by (or on behalf of) a spouse under a divorce or separation instrument. 2- Does the fact that the money is not paid by the taxpayer, but rather is paid by the pension fund on behalf of the taxpayer have any bearing on the deductibility issue. The IRS does not use the term spousal support, but the aforementioned paragraph seems to incorporate that term by the use of "any payment in cash" for support.  I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has broached this issue with the IRS or has any documentation that would guide me in determining the deductibility of such funds.
Thanks, that confirms my thoughts.  Even though no mortgage exists, there is rental income earned in CA. Thanks to you and the the community for providing good answers and advice.
Client is a UTAH resident and files a UTAH return.  Has rental income from CA properties.  Does the client have to file a CA non-resident return?  
That's probably true.  However, they have been filing tax returns since 1992 in the state of CA and the state has never objected to the filings nor told them to register.  Proseries thinks that just ... See more...
That's probably true.  However, they have been filing tax returns since 1992 in the state of CA and the state has never objected to the filings nor told them to register.  Proseries thinks that just turning off the error checking will fix it - but it doesn't.  I was hoping someone had a work around.  For now, I'm going to print the return, add a note to it, and mail it to the state.  We'll see what they say.  The Form 109 has to be mailed anyway, so they will get both together.
April 9th, 2021 and still no fix.  Error pops up on every return filed with credit claimed, and review for 1040x page pops up when opening the client file.  Like Biden says, "Come on man....."
Client is a 501c7 recreational club, organized as a Nevada Corp. doing business in CA.  The worksheet asks for a CA Corp number, but there is none because its a Nevada Corp.  When trying to efile, ev... See more...
Client is a 501c7 recreational club, organized as a Nevada Corp. doing business in CA.  The worksheet asks for a CA Corp number, but there is none because its a Nevada Corp.  When trying to efile, even with the error checking feature turned off for this return, the program generates an error and the return is rejected by Proseries/Intuit.  I know the 109 form has to be paper filed, but the 199 form can and should be efiled.  Without a CA Corp number, the program doesn't want to do that.  Would appreciate and feed back on a resolution or confirmation that a waiver should be requested. Error:  CA Exempt Organization Information Wks:  CA Corp Number invalid.  Please enter the appropriate ID (CA-Corp, CA-SOS, LLC Temp, 'FOREIGNUS' OR 'APPLD FOR') for California electronic filing.  Return conversion failed.  
Here it is, the night of the 26th (3/26/21) and still no fix for this issue.  Yes, we can ignore it, but it won't go away.  Proseries needs to fix it, not ignore it.
Oh, I like your wave.... and welcome... It's Friday the 19th and still no fix for this issue.  Actually, Proseries told me this would be fixed by today (Thursday) , but nothing has popped up saying... See more...
Oh, I like your wave.... and welcome... It's Friday the 19th and still no fix for this issue.  Actually, Proseries told me this would be fixed by today (Thursday) , but nothing has popped up saying it's done... and my clients still have the message when opening them.
Make sure your email program is NOT open when you try to load the template.  If the program is open then the tax program can't open another copy and you get the error.  I closed outlook and then it w... See more...
Make sure your email program is NOT open when you try to load the template.  If the program is open then the tax program can't open another copy and you get the error.  I closed outlook and then it worked for me.  I hope that works for you.
Gee, all I heard was a "beep beep" before the anvil hit me.....
Cancel/Ignore last question....  The system just updated the status of the returns in question.  WOW, took a long time - weeks!
Client shows no status for efile but was efiled and a 9325 is present. (2019 ProSeries)  Looking for a way to update the status and verify it was efiled.  Same for CA state return. The status fields ... See more...
Client shows no status for efile but was efiled and a 9325 is present. (2019 ProSeries)  Looking for a way to update the status and verify it was efiled.  Same for CA state return. The status fields are blank so an update doesn't work.  Somehow the program thinks the file has not been efiled, yet a 9325 is there with the confirmation numbers.
I have a couple clients that don't want to write checks.  So, I'm waiting a while for PS to update the program to accommodate the efiling of dates beyond 4/15/20 - which the website says they are wor... See more...
I have a couple clients that don't want to write checks.  So, I'm waiting a while for PS to update the program to accommodate the efiling of dates beyond 4/15/20 - which the website says they are working on.  Surely, ("don't call me Shirley") they will have it done before July 15th...