cbaxter's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cbaxter's Posts

In Georgia when an S corporation elects to pay its income tax at the entity level, certain adjustments must be made on Schedule 8 of form 600S.  The two most common are section 179 and charitable con... See more...
In Georgia when an S corporation elects to pay its income tax at the entity level, certain adjustments must be made on Schedule 8 of form 600S.  The two most common are section 179 and charitable contributions.  Why is this not being transferred to Schedule 8 automatically?  I understand that these deductions may be limited but if I can compute the limit manually, Proseries should be able to compute it for me.  Other tax programs are doing this automatically. Before someone challenges me on my understanding of Georgia law, read the regulations under chapter 560-7-3.  It clearly states that the tax is computed as if the entity was a C corporation.
99% of my clients elect to use the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election.  It would be convenient and time saving if you could make a firm wide election for ALL of the clients to make this election.  It wo... See more...
99% of my clients elect to use the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election.  It would be convenient and time saving if you could make a firm wide election for ALL of the clients to make this election.  It would be less likely to be forgotten and easier to remember to override this automatic election when necessary.
We are being forced to change our passwords periodically.  I understand the need for that.  However, because of the need for complex passwords, we are forced to either tape our password to our monito... See more...
We are being forced to change our passwords periodically.  I understand the need for that.  However, because of the need for complex passwords, we are forced to either tape our password to our monitor or save it in a text file on desktop.  Kind of defeats the purpose, right? If the program could "shake hands" with password manager programs such as Norton, it would make our lives so much easier and our programs so much more secure.  
I am a Georgia accountant working on a North Carolina resident income tax return. This gentleman has a K-1 with a $467,038 federal loss.  The NC K-1 has a $253,802 bonus depreciation adjustment.  Ve... See more...
I am a Georgia accountant working on a North Carolina resident income tax return. This gentleman has a K-1 with a $467,038 federal loss.  The NC K-1 has a $253,802 bonus depreciation adjustment.  Very little of the loss is allowed on his federal return because he is a passive investor.  However, the NC module of Pro Series is adding back 85% of $253,802 as an adjustment.  I called technical support and told them that is not correct and they told me that it was.  Does anyone here agree with the Pro Series “Expert”? If the company had not claimed bonus depreciation and had a federal loss of around $250k, there would have been no adjustment for NC.  This would have resulted in the small federal loss being allowed by NC instead of the $250,000 of income presently calculated by Pro Series.  I always tell clients that common sense does not necessarily apply to tax law but that result is absurd.  The Georgia module uses a proportional adjustment.  It simply follows that NC would as well. I would appreciate any comments to help me resolve this issue.
In the preparer set up, please allow us to indicate our professional designation, our state of license and our license number.  Then, revise the 2848 to insert our preparer number so this information... See more...
In the preparer set up, please allow us to indicate our professional designation, our state of license and our license number.  Then, revise the 2848 to insert our preparer number so this information can be automatically entered.  That would be so much more convenient that having to enter this on every POA.
The vast majority of times that I create a supporting statement in ProSeries, I do not want it to print.  It is for my information only.  Can you please have the program default to checking the "Do N... See more...
The vast majority of times that I create a supporting statement in ProSeries, I do not want it to print.  It is for my information only.  Can you please have the program default to checking the "Do Not Print" box?  We can uncheck it if we want it to print.
It would be very convenient to allow us to create default elections for all of our clients.  We use the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election on almost all of our clients.  That election is easy to forget.... See more...
It would be very convenient to allow us to create default elections for all of our clients.  We use the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election on almost all of our clients.  That election is easy to forget.  The ability to have designated elections to be made automatically would make our lives easier.
The EIN is not printing on form 940.  You have to print to screen and then manually key it in.  Anyone else experiencing this?
Your computer voice recognition isn't perfect and it can give you choices to choose from, none of which are correct.  At least give us the option to say "operator" so we can get a human.
Many thanks!  I have used the program for 20 years and never noticed that.
If you indicate that a K-1 is final, it asks for sales information, date acquired, date sold, sales price, basis.  99% of the time, this information is already entered elsewhere.  Rather than have to... See more...
If you indicate that a K-1 is final, it asks for sales information, date acquired, date sold, sales price, basis.  99% of the time, this information is already entered elsewhere.  Rather than have to enter dates and zeros for sales price & basis, I would like to have a block to check to indicate that the sale has been reported elsewhere so I don't have to go through this useless exercise.
I understand all of that.  There is no way to override the automatic checking based on the entries on form 1095-A.  THAT IS THE PROBLEM!
If there is an incorrect form 1095-A with zeros or blanks in column B (SLCSP) per the instructions from Healthcare.gov, you are to use the correct amount, not zero for this line.  When you do this an... See more...
If there is an incorrect form 1095-A with zeros or blanks in column B (SLCSP) per the instructions from Healthcare.gov, you are to use the correct amount, not zero for this line.  When you do this and all of the entries in column A & B are the same amounts, it automatically answers the question on form 8962, line 10 to “yes” and only uses annual totals on line 11 of this form.  However, the IRS is looking for the monthly information on lines 12-23 and will send a notice if it is not there.  Please save us the trouble of responding to an IRS notice and give us a way to override the answer on line 10 to “no”.
Default check on authorize to discuss contents of return – 3rd party designee.  Every click eliminated saves time.
Have signature forms default to checking the “also paid preparer” block.  Every click takes time.
On 1041 Module, why not have schedule D entry the same as the individual?  The 1041 module is still using the old Proseries format that was so inconvenient.
1099-B Reconciliation Smart Worksheet on Schedule D, why not have another column next to Gross proceeds, Cost or other Basis.  It would make it easier to review a return with this information.
On a final K-1 have a check box that you have already reported the sale of schedule D  or elsewhere so you don’t have to create entries there.  That wastes time.
This would be invaluable.  Georgia makes us attach this to support a carryover.
On form 8867, paid preparer’s due diligence checklist.  Why not have it auto check the applicable items EIC, CTC/ACTC/ODC, AOTC, HOH?  It knows when you have the appropriate ones checked.