JWM's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JWM's Posts

The current manual process is fraught with risk of error. Specifically: clicking dual status return -> open forms prompting the entry allow single-entry of income and expense items that can be allo... See more...
The current manual process is fraught with risk of error. Specifically: clicking dual status return -> open forms prompting the entry allow single-entry of income and expense items that can be allocated by key error-checks use of form 2555 prompts for 8833 treaty based provision prompts for expatriation 8854
Still no reply to this. Pro Series does not monitor their own product improvement forum. How encouraging.
I have a 1099-B from E*Trade for a Regulated Futures Contracts, Foreign Currency Contracts, and Section 1256 Option Contracts. It reports in box 1a a series of puts and calls, and in box 11 a total g... See more...
I have a 1099-B from E*Trade for a Regulated Futures Contracts, Foreign Currency Contracts, and Section 1256 Option Contracts. It reports in box 1a a series of puts and calls, and in box 11 a total gain of $5488. How do I enter this data into 6781 in Pro Series? The way I have done it looks wrong, seemingly reducing income by the amount of the gain.... step by step instruction for idiots most appreciated.  
Oh yes, had that one last year Client: why didn't you calculate my child tax credit?! Me: You have children to report? Client: Of course I do. It's in the organizer. Me: I only see that you menti... See more...
Oh yes, had that one last year Client: why didn't you calculate my child tax credit?! Me: You have children to report? Client: Of course I do. It's in the organizer. Me: I only see that you mention one was born a couple months ago in February ... Client: Well what do you think I am talking about? Me: (sigh). We are filing a 2021 tax return. The child was born in 2022. Client: Yeah, but I haven't filed the return yet. I want to claim him. Gotcha.
Sounds exactly like my 350+ exclusively expat clientele practice, where I also do local foreign tax returns in my country of specialty. All the more reason to weed out the deadbeats with an engagemen... See more...
Sounds exactly like my 350+ exclusively expat clientele practice, where I also do local foreign tax returns in my country of specialty. All the more reason to weed out the deadbeats with an engagement letter and tax organizer. But I feel your pain. every. year. My wife asks me daily during tax season what client did you fire today and what took you so long? (She thinks I am too understanding and tolerant ...)
There's your problem. Do not take such a client. I am pretty flexible and have I think an awesome, easy organizer where I ask mostly yes no questions and stuff they should have in their heads or on a... See more...
There's your problem. Do not take such a client. I am pretty flexible and have I think an awesome, easy organizer where I ask mostly yes no questions and stuff they should have in their heads or on a drivers license, I never ask them to compute stuff except maybe schedule c expenses by category ... if they have the PDFs for inputs, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to get through. Clients that refuse to sign an engagement letter or  file an organizer also get a go elsewhere instruction. Some people cannot help but attract problems through their own behavioral tics, their money is never worth your struggle.
My engagement letters stipulate I can extend their returns at my own discretion and that failure to respond to a request within 2 weeks by the emails we log at time of the engagement letter or if I p... See more...
My engagement letters stipulate I can extend their returns at my own discretion and that failure to respond to a request within 2 weeks by the emails we log at time of the engagement letter or if I perceive that have lied to me allow me to withdraw without penalty.  Most returns are paid at the same time the client gets the returns (with EFILE/COPY watermarks, I do use them and I know many professionals do not like them.) I never pursue deadbeats legally. I have long since stopped worrying about the time lost on a partially-completed return. I lose < 1 return / year after instituting these policies ten years ago.
I think it is eight complaints before Intuit resolves a complaint. But they write it weird, like on its side: ∞
When will ProSeries Make 1116B part of the program? It has been over a year and we STILL need to attach a PDF!!??
In 2019, the IRS changed the title of the Form 8858, Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect To Foreign Disregarded Entities (FDE) to Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Foreig... See more...
In 2019, the IRS changed the title of the Form 8858, Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect To Foreign Disregarded Entities (FDE) to Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Foreign Disregarded Entities (FDEs) and Foreign Branches (FBs). This requires EVERY foreign resident return with a Schedule C or rental activity to file form 8858. WHEN WILL PROSERIES ADD THIS FORM?
The release date page shows that 1116 Schedule b is available for print and efile as of 3/10:   Form 1116 Sch B, Foreign Tax Carryover Reconciliation Schedule Final on 03/10/2022, EF on 03/1... See more...
The release date page shows that 1116 Schedule b is available for print and efile as of 3/10:   Form 1116 Sch B, Foreign Tax Carryover Reconciliation Schedule Final on 03/10/2022, EF on 03/10/2022
ProSeries shows no errors ... is it now possible to also efile returns? Has the 1116 Schedule B issue been fully resolved?
The fact that 1116 schedule B is unavailable for efile is a disaster. The posted workaround will not work - the form will not be possible to efile even if you upload a pdf. I just got off the line wi... See more...
The fact that 1116 schedule B is unavailable for efile is a disaster. The posted workaround will not work - the form will not be possible to efile even if you upload a pdf. I just got off the line with a second Intuit tech support agent ... the only option now is to file the return on PAPER. You cannot attach a PDF file because the 1116 worksheet is still connected to the return and the flag cannot be turned off. Intuit cannot submit the return electronically. Intuit must address this YESTERDAY. Has management considered: IRS is processing paper returns with a 4-8 month delay. Correspondence is being handled by IRS in wildly non-chronological order: a letter sent one month ago might be resolved earlier than one sent 6 months ago, resulting in unintelligible garbage from IRS. Filing on paper means refunds will be late by months. International returns are usually due around 3/31 also .... this delay - which Drake is NOT experiencing apparently - means that those foreign returns may very well have to be extended also. My 350+ clients are almost all abroad and almost all need the 1116 ... this means every one of them is going to shell out at least $150 in DHL fees to paper file one 1040 and another $150 to file a nonresident US state return. Intuit has now outsourced all tech support, but has taken away their ability to easily elevate problems. The first agent I spoke to refused to even try! Best estimated response time from a supervisor (now, in the run up to the tax filing deadline): 24-48 hours? Are you kidding me!? Our clients are going to be extremely angry, will hear from friends using other preparers with Drake et all there is no problem ... causing a loss of client trust and maybe even the relationship. INTUIT has grossly failed US, its clients, and all of OUR clients. It's like they sold us this shiny new SUV - but with no sparkplugs and now they do not want to hear about it. "No worries - we'll send them to you March 31."
I cannot believe what I am hearing. ProSeries is saying any return with a 1116 carryover value (requiring form 1116 schedule b) (every single one of my 350+ returns) cannot be e-filed until after 3/3... See more...
I cannot believe what I am hearing. ProSeries is saying any return with a 1116 carryover value (requiring form 1116 schedule b) (every single one of my 350+ returns) cannot be e-filed until after 3/31? And even then, ONLY by attaching a pdf to the return? I cannot file a return for FOUR WEEKS?
I am incensed. After more than 3 months trying to get this FinCen114 filed and multiple hour-long discussions with now 4+ customer service reps, STILL zero progress. No follow up email. No follow up ... See more...
I am incensed. After more than 3 months trying to get this FinCen114 filed and multiple hour-long discussions with now 4+ customer service reps, STILL zero progress. No follow up email. No follow up telephone call. Just again and again the same defective internal rejection that prevents me from filing this return. Client is a fortune 500 country manager with signature authority over 33 accounts in 18 legal entities. Pro Series DEFECTIVELY rejects return - it seems - because it is looking for the number of accounts to equal the number of entities. ProSeries admitted it was their error 3 months ago. Still nothing. I absolutely hate looking for reasons each year NOT to change tax software. Despite much improvement in customer service overall, it is clear that Pro series software programmers are not subject to any reasonable standards of customer responsiveness.
Yes, how do you account for the wash sales? adjust cost and simply attach the 8949 / 1099-B?
Thank you ... my question is a purely technical one. Each correction changed something else; only the items that changed are reflected on the corrected W2. I know what the "entire" picture looks like... See more...
Thank you ... my question is a purely technical one. Each correction changed something else; only the items that changed are reflected on the corrected W2. I know what the "entire" picture looks like.   My question is .... do I enter all W2s as a single W2 and check the box that it is a corrected W2, or do I need to enter all three documents separately. I am pretty sure the first can be the only correct answer, but I see nowhere in ProSeries help documentation that this is the case, or whether there may be other steps. Also, the latest W2c provided the OK state employer number, left off the previous correction and the original. There is a "?" in the employer number(!) This is surely an error, right? I am waiting for a reply from the wage accountant .... but I'd love someone to confirm this ....
I have a w2 and two corrected W2s (!) from same employer. How to properly enter these three documents in ProSeries?
If you do not want form 2555: Make sure you do not have a value on form 2555 page 3, or on 2555-Inc or 2555-Ded .... data on these forms might prevent you from deleting form 2555 pp 1-2. If you wan... See more...
If you do not want form 2555: Make sure you do not have a value on form 2555 page 3, or on 2555-Inc or 2555-Ded .... data on these forms might prevent you from deleting form 2555 pp 1-2. If you want 2555, and you are sure it is correct, you can code the return for efile, save it, and then from Homebase highlight the return, push efile button, deselect error checking and execute conversion and efile.
Exactly. Like I wrote above. This is why Pro Series really needs to approach the tax pro community and ask us how to improve communication. Responses like those IronMan is talking about may seem like... See more...
Exactly. Like I wrote above. This is why Pro Series really needs to approach the tax pro community and ask us how to improve communication. Responses like those IronMan is talking about may seem like solutions to Intuit, but they are not solutions to us.