Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the steps in transferring a 1099EF DAT file to the new IRIS system with the IRS?

Pepper7477
Level 1

My office is trying to transmit 1099s from the Information Return System to the IRS' new Information Return Intake System (IRIS) which replaces FIRE this year. IRIS requires that the 1099EF DAT file be converted to a CSV file. When we do that the CSV Excel template does not match the IRIS template, and the columns do not populate with the date shown in the DAT file. 

Has anyone had success with this process? If so, can you post what steps you took? Any help is sincerely appreciated.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
vscpanm
Level 5

I am still using FIRE to submit 1099s. I haven't registered to use IRIS unfortunately. 

0 Cheers
ITAS010623
Level 2

Called customer support and Information Return System does not support IRIS yet. No timeline of when they will be. We have to move the information from return system file as text to the csv file and then fill in remaining fields to upload correctly to the IRIS system (or manually enter each one). We are new to e-file, but I work IT. This is the only workaround at this time. However, if you are registered with FIRE than you can still upload there. Our office was not. 

0 Cheers
DLR
Level 3

So.... do we know if the Information Return System will have an update before the end of month that will create the 1099-EF CVS file?  

0 Cheers
vscpanm
Level 5

I would contact them EASY SUPPORT #866-220-0488. 

0 Cheers
DLR
Level 3

The answer is no, there will not be an update to generate a 1099EF CSV file.

0 Cheers
Brainstrom
Level 4

I signed up for the IRIS 1099 filing too and have not been able to get anything done. I call and the system is down, what good is that. A colleague of mine said you have to pay to have a 1099 sent to the recipient, so much for FREE filing!!!!

0 Cheers