Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 754 asset - how to include in UBIA

PA CPA 900
Level 2

Does anyone know how to get ProSeries to include a Sect 754 asset in UBIA? I've had to manually override the Partners K-1 info, but ProSeries will not allow me to override the UBIA Report that prints the assets included in UBIA. The UBIA column to the right does not allow an override. I see quite a few posts on this topic back from 2019 and 2020, but no resolution and the posts were locked. It doesn't appear that ProSeries ever addressed this or corrected their program. 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Any chance the 754 asset is of the type that is amortized, rather than depreciated?

0 Cheers
PA CPA 900
Level 2

No, it's 39 yr Commercial real estate

0 Cheers
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Reason for the 754 election?  734 or 743 (presumably the former)?

Also, did you review the three check boxes on the asset worksheet:  754; 743(b); and ineligible for UBIA?

0 Cheers
PA CPA 900
Level 2

2 separate Sect 754 adjustments on this Partnership. #2 partner purchased interest. #1 partner inherited her interest from husband when he passed. On Asset Entry worksheet for Form 8825 I checked the Box for IRC Section 754 Adjustment. Down further on the page there is a section titled "Section 199a (QBI Deduction) Attributes". Line 1 is "UBIA for this asset". It did not fill in automatically so I entered the Sect 754 amount, same as Asset Cost at the top of the worksheet. The next line down has a box than can be checked that says "This asset is ineligible for QBIA". I did not check that box. So clearly the UBIA info is part of the asset entry worksheet, but then the UBIA info does not flow through anywhere on the return. I had to manually override in multiple places but the UBIA Asset Report does not allow overrides so I can't even include that in what I send to the client. Just got off the phone with Tech Support and they can't figure out and elevated it. Looking back through the Intuit Accountant's Community threads it seems this has been an issue ever since the 199a was passed. It shouldn't take 6 years for them to get this program up to par. 

0 Cheers
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

You will need to check the literature.  I believe that IRC Section 754 adjustments that result from IRC Section 734(b) (i.e., property distributions or partnership retirements/buybacks) are entity level "step-ups" potentially applicable to all partners.  Whereas an IRC Section 754 adjustment under IRC Section 743(b) (i.e., for a sale or exchange between partners....and possibly an inheritance step-up...would need to look) is a partner level step-up.  Hence, only the entity level step-up would be included in the partnership's return and UBIA.  The partner level step-up under IRC Section 743(b) would need to be computed and reported separately, solely by the partner to whom it applies.  It appears that the 743(b) checkbox was designed for that purpose (see PS instructions).  Special allocation 'might' also get the asset into that partners UBIA on the Section 199A worksheet.  See that partners Statement A for 199A reporting.

Hope that helps.

PA CPA 900
Level 2

Thanks for the input, but I had already researched that and was not looking for tax advise. This step up is computed at the partner level and reported as Line 13, Code ZZ deductions. My only issue is with the software since ProSeries is not correctly including the Sect 754 in UBIA and will not allow me to override the UBIA Report. 

0 Cheers