Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIRE FRAUD SCAM

taxprep5268
Level 2

My client was instructed by her employer to wire fund to a brokerage firm to purchase company stock, but a scammer got into the employer computer, changed routing instructions, and the client lost her money in a wire fraud scheme. Bank, employer, and FBI did not think this would be recovered.  Would a wire scam fraud like this be a casualty loss in 2022, or are these scams no longer deductible?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

These type of loses are still deductible if you itemize, and the loss is more than 10% of your AGI + $100.

See link https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4684.pdf

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Terry53029  Isn't this just a personal Theft Loss?  And with no disaster, there is no deduction, right?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Did the business suffer the loss?

Or was it a personal loss?

Ex-AllStar
taxprep5268
Level 2

No this was a personal loss. The company never received the funds since the scammer was able to change the wire instructions.

0 Cheers
taxprep5268
Level 2

Yes, that's what I'm not clear.. I thought these kind of scams (other than Ponzi scams) were no longer deductible as of 2018?  Basically, the CEO's company computer was hacked, and the scammer was able to change the wire instructions, sent out the instructions to the client, and she sent the money using a fraudulent wire instructions. She thought she was sending it the company's brokerage account to purchase stock. 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@TaxGuyBill yes it is a personal loss, and not deductible. I had just finished a theft loss for a business, and had a senior moment as the TCJA took that away for personal loss 

qbteachmt
Level 15

If this was done with/on company property, then I would investigate if the business has insurance coverage, such as IT Fraud protection. It's not the same as the employee using their home computer, in other words.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.