Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which address do I enter/input for a W-2 when a college student from OH goes to school and works in IL?

nmhatzis
Level 1

I have a client who is a resident of OH but goes to school at a university in IL. This student has a full ride scholarship and gets paid on top of that to conduct research. Both the 1098T and W-2 list the student's local address in IL, but the address on record with the IRS is in OH. Is it OK to enter the student's home address in OH instead of the addresses in IL shown on these tax documents?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

The address on Page 1 of the 1040 should be the one where taxpayer wants IRS to mail correspondence or checks.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

The address on Page 1 of the 1040 should be the one where taxpayer wants IRS to mail correspondence or checks.

Ex-AllStar
nmhatzis
Level 1

Thank you for your prompt response! I don't know if this matters, but I forgot to mention that this student cannot be claimed as a dependent by anyone else. They fully support themselves based on scholarships and W-2 wages from their research job which is tied to their schooling.

sjrcpa
Level 15

My answer remains the same.

Ex-AllStar