Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I advise a client when their refund shows as "Processing" 10 weeks after e-filing their return?

CappersTax
Level 2

I have at least 3 clients that I e-filed their returns on February 12, 2021 and when they check on IRS.gov website, it just says processing.  They each have the child credit but it has been over 10 weeks and still just "processing".  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

They need to be patient and wait.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Mention the refund is earning 3% interest this quarter.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

The early bird gets the worm.  The early filer evidently doesn't get a worm, or a timely issued check but does get 3% interest --------------------------- someday.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

I called PPS yesterday to inquire on 4 clients with same situation.   2 efiled/accepted February; 2 efiled/accepted March       3 of the 4 had a child in 2020 - so return has RRC credit.   The agent said all these returns are requiring a manual review. Says the IRS department handling these is behind so expect minimum of 10weeks before the return can possibly be released.   Could be longer if it is determined a letter needs to be sent to taxpayer.  

Made the calls as a courtesy to my clients - 2 of the 4 called yesterday inquiring if I had any news.  Clients are Amish so no access to a computer to check Where's My Refund.  

CappersTax
Level 2

Thank you for your reply.

CappersTax
Level 2

One of my clients is also Amish.  Thank you for your reply.  I hate it but I am glad that mine aren't the only ones being delayed this long.  

BobKamman
Level 15

From the latest IRS update:

Including current year returns, as of April 16, 2021, we had 16.1 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC).

--Of course they're lying about returns requiring "correction" to RRC; a return with credit based on an added 2020 child is correct, but they don't believe you anyway.  

USATAXLADY
Level 2

Make sure they don't have any debts or liens that would be able to take the refund. Get transcripts from IRS. Could also be identity problem.