Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The September 18 Holiday: Show Some Respect

BobKamman
Level 15

You probably have some clients who would appreciate a phone call.  I have had several clients who reached age 100 -- did you know, in New Mexico, they are exempt from state income tax? -- but none at the moment.  Many clients, though, are even older than guys running for President. 

Respect for the Aged Day is a public holiday in Japan celebrated annually to honor elderly citizens. It started in 1966 as a national holiday and was held on every September 15. Since 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September due to the Happy Monday System.

This national holiday traces its origins to 1947, when Nomadani-mura (later Yachiyo-cho, currently Taka-cho), Hyogo Prefecture, proclaimed September 15 Old Folks' Day. Its popularity spread nationwide, and in 1966 it took its present name and status. Annually, Japanese media take the opportunity to feature the elderly, reporting on the population and highlighting the oldest people in the country.

Commemorative silver sake cups

Since 1963, the Japanese government has given a commemorative silver sake cup to Japanese who reach the age of 100. In 1963, the number was 153, but with numbers increasing, the government decided to reduce the size of the cup to cut costs in 2009. In 2014, 29,357 received a cup. In 2017, Japan honored 32,097 people (27,461 women and 4,636 men) who turned 100 years old; they each received congratulatory letter and souvenir sake cup from the Prime Minister. According to this report the solid sterling silver cups were replaced with nickel alloy silver plated design which halved the per-unit cost, saving $1-million in the annual budget.

Celebration

On this holiday, people return home to visit and pay respect to the elders. Some people volunteer in neighborhoods by making and distributing free lunch boxes to older citizens. Entertainment is sometimes provided by teenagers and children with various keirokai performances. Special television programs are also featured by Japanese media on this holiday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respect_for_the_Aged_Day 

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Bob - may I be the first to wish you a Happy Respect for the Aged Day.  In recognition of the day, I am sending you a free lunch box.  Well, actually it is just a plain cardboard box, but a guy could easily fit a lunch in it.  Oh wait, was I actually supposed to put food in it before I sent it out?  If so, sorry.  Just hang on to the box and I will send you food to put into it next year.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Please, show some respect and call it a bento box.  And it better be full of sushi.  At my age I only eat raw fish, because I'm not sure I'll be around long enough to enjoy it cooked.  

sewcpa
Level 5

Does IRMN's specialty (fish covered in lye) count as sushi?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I’ve tried both lutefisk and sushi ———— sadly, I think I would choose the lutefisk over the sushi. 

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

If you knew sushi, like I know sushi .... well, ask me no questions and I'll avoid fish in lye.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Enjoy your sushi.  It’s National Cheeseburger Day today.  A cheeseburger is going to beat out either sushi or lutefisk for me.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

New for 2022, Maryland exempts the first $100,000 of income from tax. I have one client who qualified. She's 104 and I spoke to her last week.

Ex-AllStar