Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Check Is In The Mail (By September)

BobKamman
Level 15

Americans likely won't begin to see direct payments from the coronavirus stimulus bill until at least April 13 and it could take 20 weeks for all the checks to be mailed, Trump administration officials told lawmakers, according to a House Democratic memo obtained by CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/stimulus-20-weeks-irs/index.html

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

10 Comments 10
abctax55
Level 15

Even if I file a "simple" return RIGHT NOW and put my direct deposit info in (maybe I should highlight so they see it)?  I could put down $ 5 in gambling winnings to make sure it efiles quickly.  

Whaddya' think?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

Does this have anything to do with Mnuchin opening his mouth without ever check with someone that knows how things work in Washington? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

If we all agree to add $1 withholding on that $5 lottery ticket -- they can't send all of us to Leavenworth at the same time, right?

Incidentally, back in 2008  IRS had to put out a special notice that it was OK to add $1 interest to stimulus claims, so that they would not be rejected for e-file -- while saying that it was not allowed in any other year  for any other purpose.  So every time you see someone suggest it here -- well, think of Leavenworth.  

itonewbie
Level 15

May be he hasn't seen the "state of the art" "supercomputers" the IRS runs on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

My computer loves me with I talk COBOL.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15

Then it sounds like everyone here will be getting phone calls from clients until September wondering where their check is.  I'm also guessing some of those calls will be coming from folks getting the money directly deposited while they are busy watching their mailbox every day instead of their bank statement.  As a wise sage here used to say "I've got morons on my team."

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@IRonMaNBased on the latest research from MIT, you'd need more than the extra 3.28 inch. 😂

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-l...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Ok, I'll round up to 30 feet 5.4781688774866687168 inches.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Many of my clients (aka morons) are quickly being added to my CTOBET list.  The greed is disgusting to me.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

According to the Washington Post,

The Internal Revenue Service plans to send electronic payments as soon as late next week to more than 115 million Americans as part of the $2 trillion coronavirus law, a week sooner than expected, according to a plan circulated internally on Wednesday.

However, $30 million in paper checks for millions of other Americans won’t start being sent out until April 24, as the government lacks their banking information.

The IRS plan would distribute paper checks to the lowest-income Americans first, prioritizing payments for individual taxpayers with incomes of $10,000 or less on April 24.

Checks for earners of $20,000 or less would be in the mail May 1, followed by those with incomes of $30,000 on May 8, $40,000 on May 15, and continuing in income increments of $10,000 each week, according to the plan. The IRS plans to issue about 5 million checks each week.

Stimulus checks would be issued on Sept. 4 to joint taxpayers earning around $200,000, the maximum allowed under the stimulus. All others would be sent on Sept. 11, in most cases because the IRS did not have prior tax information for them and they need to apply for the checks.