Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star date November 18, 2023

IRonMaN
Level 15

Date of 1040 e-filing shutdown ——- just in case someone happens to ask😁

Slava Ukraini!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

You're welcome. I'm just wondering how many people do not know about the new e-file mandate, I.E  10 combined W-2 forms and 1099 forms, and ended up mailing them in. I wonder if the IRS is going to penalize them? Hopefully they do not because I'm sure many people do not know about this. All of this e-filing is getting to be a little bit ridiculous. 

View solution in original post

57 Comments 57
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Is anyone going to be new to the "10" payroll/information e-filing?  I have always had the ones that could paper file, but I have 2 that will fall in the e-file requirement. I should have included which is best id me or login.gov.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

We started using Intuit's Quick Employer Forms last year.  But at just shy of $200 I don't know if it would be worthwhile for you for two clients.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

I just signed up for ID.ME a couple of weeks ago and it was a simple process and it does the job.

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

I have several that use 5 to 7.  Just wasn't sure really best way to go for e-file you know how I like pencil and paper.  Sure do appreciate the information.  Do you like just shy of 200 program?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Date of 1040 e-filing shutdown

But when is the date it opens back up?  🤣

dkh
Level 15

I did login.gov    very quick and easy.   No driver's license/picture taking required.   Just need an email to create an account.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

ID.ME didn’t require a DL or pic to be functional either.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@TiredFarmer I have to start e-filing 1099 forms and W-2 forms this year also. In past I've always had the client mail them in, and I prepared them using AMS 1099 Etc which is Advanced Micro Solutions. AMS has partnered with NELCO and they can e-file the W-2 forms and the 1099 forms. The efile fee is very reasonable to do this. NELCO is the third party administrator , so I don't think you need passwords and all that other stuff , they take care of the e-filing.So this is what I would do if I was you. If you try to efile the forms on your own then you have to set up passwords and so forth for each client I believe. If you need the phone number for AMS then let me know, as I am out now walking this Wolfhound. Dan.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Thanks for the information I found a phone number for NELCO. They say you have to contact them for pricing.

Does anyone know if paper filing the best way to apply for TCC number or have I probably waited too late to make this filing season?

dkh
Level 15

Really ?   I tried setting up an id.me account for myself last year. It required a picture id upload and then face recognition match with that id from my phone - which would never work.  I gave up after three attempts.    I also helped an Amish client setup an id.me account - it required a video meeting because the client did not have a cellphone to do the face recognition match...........  

EDIT:  Ok - never mind - I figured it out - I have an id.me account which I can use for EFTPS or IRS or SSA,  etc. etc.      I just haven't been able to finish the IRS identity verification process which requires the photo id upload

IRonMaN
Level 15

@TiredFarmer  - that’s why we went the Quick Employer Forms route last year - no extra hoops to jump through.

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

No TCC number required?  And  Sorry I should have started my own question so I could have marked solved,  I really appreciate all the help you all have been to me and Iron Man I would change my name to not so tired but not sure how to do that.

PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN Business efile shut down has not been announced yet - usually later. Still have one more 2022 990 club to do, they waited (procrastinated) to now to drop off 2022 data. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"No TCC number required?"

No, we just logged in and were off and running.  But don't go changing your name ------------ with all of anvils that have hit me in the head, you might confuse me.

"Business efile shut down has not been announced yet"

No they haven't.  I'm not sure why they can't announce both dates at the same time, unless nobody at the IRS has figured out that date yet 😀

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I signed up for one of those IRIS numbers, but I think I need a TCC number as well to upload direct to the IRS or SSA?

I honestly dont understand how it all works either, so I guess Im going to end up having to pay $ and go through some third party processor as well.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll bury this on the back page so @BobKamman doesn't feel bad by making the front page news here.  Unfortunately for Bob, the Mighty Casey (and evidently a few other Diamondbacks) has struck out and Texas wins the World Series.  

For the record, I saw that the Rangers were in the same club as the Vikings ---------------- the longest running team without winning a championship in the "big four" sports - both teams officially started in 1961.  The wait is over for Texas, so for all of you betting people, cash in your 401K now and put your money on the Vikings to win the Super Bowl.

Now for those of your that are thinking about betting 5 cents on the Vikings, go take a cold shower to snap yourself back into reality.  The Vikings are scheduled to win their first Super Bowl the same year that ProSeries adds form 5227 ---------- in the year 2525.

Slava Ukraini!
msrsscpa
Level 2

As far as I know, the IRS id.me does required front/back of DL and a selfie.  How did you get around that?  Curious for advising some of our clients who do not want to do that.  Thanks.

0 Cheers
msrsscpa
Level 2

Online is the quickest way and I don't believe it's too late to apply.  You can purchase the Quick Employer Form through Intuit and they will do the batch efiling for you.  You will be able to print the office and client copies etc and they will efile the forms so you do NOT have to have a TCC number.

abctax55
Level 15

"...You can purchase the Quick Employer Form through Intuit"

Read the fine print tho.... if you don't renew Quick Employer Form in subsequent years, it appears you lose access to the prior year info.   Similar to Fast Path; at least that is my understanding of how it works after I looked into it.

Maybe it's not a deal breaker, but the concept is bothersome.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Greta
Level 9

I started using the Intuit Quick Employer software about 4 yrs ago, and it was a huge relief not to type and mail the forms. Especially contractors need 1099 and W-2s prepared and efiled. For me it was well worth the cost, tho it seems to have grown from the original $148. But: I noticed the format has changed a lot this year, and it took some sleuthing on my part to access prior forms.

Question: Is it available yet for 2023? I keep checking daily and getting a promise of great things coming, but no software?

BobKamman
Level 15

It's all your fault by not adding that Intuit shuts down at 8pm.  Incomplete information like yours should be made illegal.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Intuit said they were shutting down four hours early and folks were still astonished that they couldn't send a return at 11:59.  For the record, I posted this when the IRS first announced the shutdown, not after Intuit announced that they were going to bed early that night.  Besides, I announced this as "star date" - Captain Kirk never gave exact times when he spoke of dates.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN you are exactly right. My clients know that they have to get the data to me early so I have sufficient time to finish it well before the deadline. I do not like filing returns at the last minute. They also know that I am not responsible if there are electronic filing issues or computer issues. That's why it's good to finish the returns early, just in case of last minute problems.

BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Besides, I announced this as "star date" - Captain Kirk never gave exact times when he spoke of dates.

Enough of your feeble excuses.

"Stardates usually are expressed with a single decimal digit, but sometimes with more than one. For instance, The Next Generation episode,"The Child", displays the stardate 42073.1435. According to The Star Trek Guide, the official writers' guide for the original series:

For example, 1313.5 is twelve o'clock noon of one day and 1314.5 would be noon of the next day. Each percentage point (sic) is roughly equivalent to one-tenth of one day.

Likewise, page 32 of the 1988 Star Trek: The Next Generation Writer's/Director's Guide for season two states:

…the digit following the decimal point counts one-tenth of a day.

This was demonstrated by the ship's chronometer in the TOS-Remastered episode, "The Naked Time," and by Captain Varley's video logs in the TNG episode "Contagion". The latter displays several stardates with two decimal digits next to corresponding times."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardate#:~:text=A%20stardate%20is%20a%20fictional,is%20planet%20Deneb...

sjrcpa
Level 15

Who knew?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think the better question is:

Who really wanted to know? 😜

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Just Curious....how long does it take on average to get e-file accepted or rejected acknowledgement back when using Quick Employer Forms?   And Thank you for sharing information!

itonewbie
Level 15

@BobKamman Lol, of all people, I thought you'd be more precise than that.  8pm in which time zone?. 😉

For all the loyal fans who take what we say here literally (and get offended), the real support hours can be found on this webpage: https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-settings/contact-proconnect...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

@TiredFarmer  - last year the acceptances were happening over night for us.  We haven't transmitted any yet so I can't tell you how quickly things are or aren't happening this year.

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

You all are my hero's and make tax season not so dreaded.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

I did one group will let you know.  You know I am the biggest fan of pencil and paper and got a little worried.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Alfred.jpeg

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

24 Hours wasn't the magic number so maybe 48 will be.🙃

IRonMaN
Level 15

We transmitted one yesterday to give it a test run.  We are still waiting too.

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

@IRonMaN did yours get accepted?  I am still e-file processing.  Thanks for the info. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Still patiently waiting.  🙁

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Thanks!

IRonMaN
Level 15

IRonMaN_0-1646756650665.png

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

@TiredFarmer  We had a bunch of W-2s accepted overnight but still waiting on 1099 acceptances.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

using other service to efile w2s and 1099s. first year for me (due to lowering of efile mandate). it is taking two days for federal w2s to be accepted/approved. still waiting on 1099 acceptances like IronMan.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Thank you all so much for the information.  Like you all W2's accepted and 1099's "still processing".  I was really afraid I had done something wrong.  I appreciate you all taking the time to message about something so trivial but gigantic in my mind. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Personally, I don't use the software - IronWoman takes care of all of the W-2s and 1099s.  But after thinking about it, she believes that W-2s were an overnight turnaround last year but the 1099s came in pretty much one big rush around the due date.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@TiredFarmer👍 I was worried about the same things like you tired farmer. That's not trivial for us, it's very important. I e-filed some 1099s well over a week or two ago and they still haven't been approved. I was wondering too if something was wrong. Every time they change something or mandate something they make problems for us. That's why I want to quit. It's too much anymore.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you quit, you would just tap into the Fireball supply and there is already a potential shortage looming.  Just keep working and leave the Fireball to the guy who is most dependent on it in IL.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN @TiredFarmer just received confirmations that 1099 NEC forms were approved/accepted by IRS/federal.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks - still patiently waiting for acceptances here.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

You're welcome. I'm still waiting for the state 1099 NEC approvals to come back from Pennsylvania.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Thanks, still patiently waiting for 1099 acceptances too.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Misery loves company 😜

Slava Ukraini!