Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple trust est. in Arizona with no specific accounting rules.

zeek349
Level 2

AZ appears to follow UPIA (Unified Principle and Income Act although I'm not 100% sure.  If yes how do I allocate 50% expenses to income and 50% to principle?  And must I do that on the federal 1041 return as well?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zeek349
Level 2

Bob Kamman:

I love your response!  Sorry about the errors - I do my best to get things right but clearly got those two words wrong when referring to the UPIA.  

I'm glad to learn that:   "federal computation of DNI doesn't rely on state law except perhaps when assigning capital gains to income or principal.  Each case is based on its own facts and circumstances. Allocations are the decision of the trustee, not the preparer. " 

In this case I am both preparer and a co-trustee, and given what I know about the trust I'm confident the capital gains (losses) don't need to be allocated to principal.     

Thank you 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

@BobKamman ?

If it's an AZ Trust, the AZ rules apply to the federal return.

What software are you using?

Ex-AllStar
zeek349
Level 2

Proseries Basic.

0 Cheers
zeek349
Level 2

I have ProSeries Basic 2023 for Individual returns and ProSeries 2023 for fiduciary returns.

(its not ProSeries Professional.  I've never used that.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

First, it's Uniform.  Second, it's Principal.  Third, this is a legal question.  Federal computation of DNI doesn't rely on state law, except perhaps when assigning capital gains to income or principal.  Each case is based on its own facts and circumstances. Allocations are the decision of the trustee, not the preparer.  

zeek349
Level 2

Bob Kamman:

I love your response!  Sorry about the errors - I do my best to get things right but clearly got those two words wrong when referring to the UPIA.  

I'm glad to learn that:   "federal computation of DNI doesn't rely on state law except perhaps when assigning capital gains to income or principal.  Each case is based on its own facts and circumstances. Allocations are the decision of the trustee, not the preparer. " 

In this case I am both preparer and a co-trustee, and given what I know about the trust I'm confident the capital gains (losses) don't need to be allocated to principal.     

Thank you 🙂

0 Cheers