Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEP

dixontaxvt
Level 1

My client will contribute to a SEP. He is a partner (1065) with SE income and also has a schedule c for a separate business with a loss.

The loss limits his maximum SEP contribution - but my understanding of a SEP in an even partnership is that both partners would need to contribute the same amount. Does his limitation because of the loss potentially also limit his partners 2021 contribution?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Maybe or maybe not.

Is his Schedule C business affiliated with the partnership in any way?

If no, and the SEP Agreement was done properly, the SEP contribution can be based on the earned income from the partnership only and not include the Sch C loss.

In any partnership, the SEP contribution is based on the same percent of earned income for everyone. If your partners have Guaranteed Payments that are not even, when combined with Line 1 income, they will have different earned income upon which to compute the SEP contribution.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Is this the same issue you asked last week, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/sep-contribution-for-pa...

You didn't need to keep asking as new topics; it's the same people. I will flag that one for deletion.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers