Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of Mobile Home

KristianaD
Level 1

I am seeing mixed advice out there so I wanted to ask - is a mobile home always considered a capital asset? Or does it have the opportunity to quality for the home sale exclusion if its the primary home, lived in 2+ years, etc. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

I would look at what the IRS tells you; it's in Pub 523. I googled this for you:

does mobile home qualify for primary residence tax exemption

"Finally, the exclusion can apply to many different types of housing facilities. A single-family home, a condominium, a cooperative apartment, a mobile home, and a houseboat each may be a main home and therefore qualify for the exclusion."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

If you are seeing mixed advice, maybe you should consider cataract surgery.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

I would look at what the IRS tells you; it's in Pub 523. I googled this for you:

does mobile home qualify for primary residence tax exemption

"Finally, the exclusion can apply to many different types of housing facilities. A single-family home, a condominium, a cooperative apartment, a mobile home, and a houseboat each may be a main home and therefore qualify for the exclusion."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sjrcpa
Level 15

FYI -  a home is a capital asset.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

Your client is having  a gain on the sale of a mobile home? That doesn't happen very often.

Ex-AllStar