Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two 6475 Letters To Same Taxpayer

BobKamman
Level 15

Taxpayer received a 6475 letter dated January 12 showing an EIP of $1,400.

He filed a joint return in 2020 but his wife died in March 2020.

Then he received another 6475 letter dated January 26, with his first name misspelled, showing a $1,400 payment.

The first letter has a long string of numbers and letters above his name and a bar code below it. The second letter has neither of these.

He just brought this in last week and I haven’t been able to reach him to ask how many payments he received. I suppose it doesn’t make a difference, since he wouldn’t have to pay back a second one.

Just something that inspires more confidence in IRS. For those who endorse believing IRS notices before believing your client – maybe something to think about.

2 Comments 2
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

The 6419 Letter on the Total 2021 Advanced Child Tax Credit payments is a real nightmare of incorrect amounts paid. I've gotten 2021 Account Transcripts that agree with what the taxpayer is saying and not the amount on the 6419. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

I have seem MFJ getting three letters for the EIP3: each spouse got one individual letter and there was one joint letter issued.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers