Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They know everything

PATAX
Level 15

Client dropped off their data and wife left a note that she doesn't want her teenage son to have to file this year, because he didn't get a refund last year. She apparently looked up filing requirements and feels he's below that. I called her up and told her that we should file. She wanted to argue, I have known her since kids. I told her what about the state and local then if you don't file, did you look that up? I also told her that she is the first person ever, ever to tell me that they don't want their child who received w2 to have to file. Oh by the way I charged them about $50 for that kids federal, state, and local tax returns last year. Now you know why I want to quit?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

As Art Linkletter would have said -  "Clients say the darndest things"

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

20 Comments 20
IRonMaN
Level 15

As Art Linkletter would have said -  "Clients say the darndest things"

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

I don't want to file if I'm not getting a refund, or I won't file if I'm not getting a refund.  I love the concept. Just like PI lawyers who say you don't owe us anything unless we win, we can tell people if you're not getting a refund, we won't make you file.  I do so enjoy prison food......

PATAX
Level 15

She dropped of the W-2 and wrote on the envelope in bold black ink: THANK YOU. HAVE A GREAT DAY DANNY! (WITH A BIG SMILEY FACE THAT SHE MADE).

IRonMaN
Level 15

Hopefully she didn't also make a voodoo doll with your smiling face on it.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN 🤣👍 I'm already all crippled up so a voodoo doll ain't going to have an effect on me.

dkh
Level 15

Have a client that attaches sticky note to each document telling me what it is ......

"This is my W2"     "This is interest income from bank"     etc etc

Thank goodness... I would be lost without their knowledge.

linda2
Level 5

Don't you love those clients--as if we having been doing tax returns for a few years now.   

rbynaker
Level 13

@dkh wrote:

Have a client that attaches sticky note to each document telling me what it is ......

"This is my W2"     "This is interest income from bank"     etc etc

Thank goodness... I would be lost without their knowledge.

I have my "wants to hand me one document at a time and explain what it is" client coming in on Wednesday.

linda2
Level 5

Oh I love them.  Every paper comes out--even if we don't need it.  

dkh
Level 15

@rbynaker 

Ohhhhh one of those.  Don't you want to jump across your desk, rip the papers right out of their hand, and run off screaming....hahahhahaha now they're mine all mine !!!!!!

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

clients not getting (enough or) refunds is easily remedied... " just increase your withholdings, send estimates, etc."   ......'it's your own money you're getting back:   "it's better to give than receive." ....  "it's okay not to file.... just don't be alarmed when you get a love note from the IRS in a year or so... "

@PATAX I usually prepare the kids returns at a discount, too... I used to include the kids on the parents invoice.....  A few years ago I started invoicing the kids separately showing the full price and then including a 'family discount' so the parents can see what the work is worth......   When the kids go to college you often see several w2's and sometimes in multiple states... some get the kiddie tax... and they always mess up the PA/NJ reciprocity,.....Some of the kids returns are more complicated than their parents... 

$50 for a Fed, PA, & Local?  The tax info should come with a large bottle of fireball, scotch, or bourbon. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
PATAX
Level 15

@Skylane 👍you are right Bruce, I haven't been charging enough all these years. But the good news is, the last two years I have been raising my rates for many, other than kids. And they have been the best two years for me, and very few people,  if any,  have complained, (because my rates are probably still lower than what other CPA firms and large tax preparation firms are charging). Better late than never. God Willing, a couple of years or less I can retire early. Dan.

linda2
Level 5

We don't charge for kids through college.  Most parents never acknowledge or say thanks.  Then once they're on their own, they file their own returns. Glad we gave you free returns for all those years.

PATAX
Level 15

@linda2 you are exactly correct Linda. We do free returns for them or charge them a nominal fee for all these years, then they show their appreciation. Real nice huh?

linda2
Level 5

Often times the kid makes a mistake and then the parents ask us to fix it.  We tell them it will have to wait until after April 15th.  Not going to waste precious time and resources cause your kid screwed up.

IRonMaN
Level 15

As a promotion this year, I am advertising free returns prepared on February 29th.  Of course, I am planning on taking the day off so I don't have to offer any free returns, but it sounds good on paper.  Kinda like an Intuit deal. 😜

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

1.jpeg

IRonMaN
Level 15

You have impressive cows in your state --------------------- milk that lasts forever 😮

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Always my favorite.... parents returns get rejected because their college kid(s) filed their own returns claiming the exemption(s)....  scary what I have to charge the parents to fix the kids mistake (but it never happens again)

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
rbynaker
Level 13

RE: Expiration dates

I've seen that before.  Something I bought last year for Thanksgiving (rolls or buns or something like that) had an expiration date of 11/31/23.

Yay, quality controls!  Oh wait, I think our profession has finally surrendered and determined quality is out of control so now all we can do is quality management. 🙂  New standards coming soon to a CPA near you!