Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So What? No One's Perfect

BobKamman
Level 15

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has filed a complaint against tax company H&R Block for allegedly deceptively marketing products as “free” when they’re not, and for deleting customers’ tax data when they try to downgrade to more affordable online services.

“H&R Block designed its online products to present an obstacle course of tedious challengers to consumers, pressuring them into overpaying for its products,” Samuel Levine, the director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, said in a statement. “Today’s action demonstrates that companies using coercive techniques that harm consumers can expect to hear from the FTC.”

The FTC filed an administrative complaint that alleges H&R Block’s online tax filing products have led consumers to higher-priced items for more complex tax filing, even when most people do not need it.

https://thehill.com/business/4486911-ftc-complaint-hrblock-deceptive-marketing-deleting-tax-data/ 

5 Comments 5
PATAX
Level 15

Good, but will it amount to anything? If my memory serves me correct, there may have been alleged issues over the years with this company. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like the Blockheads and Intuit like to steal from each other's playbook.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Intuit got a big fine recently, too.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

If my memory serves me correct, one of these tax chain preparation firms had a sign outside and it said something to the effect that they were certified small business tax experts or something along this line. Certified by whom?

itonewbie
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

Intuit got a big fine recently, too.

When  T u r d o T a x  generates revenue in the billions each year and has an operating margin in excess of 60%, a fine of $141 million doesn't even amount to a slap on the wrist.  That's why businesses keep doing what they do.  Paying fines is just part of the cost of doing business these days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar