Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Paid What You Are Worth?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I noticed the post from Gabi that is advertising Intuit's hour-long commercial for their newest product.

I think it is interesting that one of the first lines says "GET PAID WHAT YOU'RE WORTH".  Based on some of the questions on this forum, it seems that Intuit is recommending some preparer should lower their fees.  🤣 🤣 🤣

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/events/add-tax-planning-to-your-practice-tax-planning-master...

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

If I got any lower, I would have to pay my clients for the privilege of doing their returns.😧   But you are correct, based on some of the posts that show up here, some folks really shouldn't be charging anybody for preparing a tax return.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Based on some of the posts that show up here, some people are avoiding paying someone to do their return while trying to get free professional advice.  

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

From that link:   Most tax pros are working 16 hour days during tax filing season and only have about 2 hours on average per return! 

I aim for 30-45 minutes per return.. sometimes as short as 20 minutes.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry Jim, I hate to inform you that based on those statistics you are a below average tax preparer.  But so am I so welcome to the club 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

While we're at it.. 16 hours a day?  think about that.. say for example 8 am starting time.. that means working to midnight.. that leaves sleeping, exercising hopefully, eating, taking care of personal daily functions, and at least some catch up/relaxing time.  I try and go from about 8 am to about 7:30 pm during tax season plus saturdays and some sundays but I am not working 16 hours a day, day after day.  I do not think that is sustainable and still having good health. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Meet John and Charlie.  They are two tax preparers that participated in that survey.  John is 39 and Charlie is 41.cpa1.jpgcpa2.jpg

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Yep and maybe sometimes it may go the other way?.. has anyone ever received a new client and the prior year tax return is couple inches thick with all kinds of schedules, worksheets, etc? Then when you prepare the current return it's only several pages or so?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Some preparers bill by the pound.  They include every type of schedule and form they can think of including a couple of pics of their office ——- just to meet their minimum weight requirements 

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

I bill by the ounce... I learned that from the Vape/Smoke shop that rents space next to my office.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"