Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QBI and Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction

PSeagroves
Level 1

I have a shareholder in an S corporation and I cannot figure out how enter the self-employed health insurance (that was properly included in shareholder's W2) so it reduces the qualified business income of the related S corporation.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

5 Comments 5
PSeagroves
Level 1

I think I answered my own question.  It shouldn't reduce QBI because QBI is already reduced by the self-employed health insurance as the S corp is treating as wages.

IntuitCharlene

Great find! The K-1's would not deduct SE Health Insurance from QBI because in both cases it should already have been taken into account on the business side. Through the 1065 its typically in the Guaranteed Payments already. If it wasn't taken on the business side then a manual adjustment would be needed on the Individual Side to reduce the QBI. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
Storchon
Level 1

Where can I make a manual entry to QBI so partnership QBI is reduced by the self employed health insurance.  The partnership is not deducting the health insurance as a guaranteed payment.

Thank you!

0 Cheers
JoAnn C
Level 2

Did you find how to manually adjust the SE health insurance against the partnership QBI?  I have a partnership K1 and there is no guaranteed payment.  The SE health insurance needs to be deducted in the QBI calculation.  Is there a way to manually do this?

0 Cheers
WilliamP
Level 2

With respect to an S-Corp, the medical insurance deduction does not reduce QBI, because 1) the medical insurance is an offset to the amount included in the shareholders wages and 2) the medical insurance has reduced QBI as a deductible fringe benefit.   With respect to a Self Employed and Partner, the medical insurance is a reduction of QBI. 

0 Cheers