Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTIN window

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

to open soon.. 

IRS reduces fees for PTIN application and renewal

The IRS has reduced the fees for the application and renewal of preparer tax identification numbers (PTINs) to an $11 user fee plus an $8.75 fee payable directly to a third-party contractor. The IRS also added new features to Tax Pro Account, its digital self-service portal, to help tax professionals manage their active client authorizations. The PTIN fees were recalculated after a district court held that the IRS was charging excessive fees. The $11 fee was estimated based on the cost of providing PTINs for fiscal year 2024 through fiscal year 2026. The third-party contractor fee of $8.75 may change in 2026.

The IRS requires anyone who prepares or assists in the preparation of any federal tax return to obtain a PTIN. The annual PTIN application and renewal period for the 2024 filing season will begin shortly. The new regulations take effect on October 19. Tax Pro Account users can now view their client's tax information and withdraw from active authorizations online. Commissioner Danny Werfel stated that the ongoing improvements to Tax Pro Account are part of a larger effort to transform the IRS.

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Whatever happened to the refunds we were supposed to get for prior years?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Checks are in the mail 😜

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@sjrcpa I think I read somewhere that the individuals who filed the lawsuit to get that refund lost. I thought I read that there will be no refunds. But I may be wrong