Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PEO and payroll taxes

My client (a Corporation) hired a PEO for 2022.  What I know is that a PEO hires the company's employees and remit taxes and files returns with the IRS.  I believe the payroll tax returns are filed under the EIN of the PEO. 

The IRS doesn't have a record of the payroll taxes for 2022 for my client.  I told the IRS rep about the PEO arrangement, and she didn't know about them.  I didn't know what to do so I ended the call.  Does the PEO need to provide any "proof" of filing?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is there an issue where proof is needed? EDIT: you said "The IRS doesn't have a record of the payroll taxes for 2022 for my client"

Your client should get payroll reports for every pay period and a year end summary, along with W-2s.

The PEO files payroll tax returns with a schedule listing each individual company and EIN, I believe. It took a while but I was able to get some of these in the COVID/PPP days.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

I agree with Sue. Also there has been a mess at the IRS since covid and they didn't process 941 returns for a long time. The w2 returns, and therefore 941 returns, have obviously been filed because if they hadn't the employees 1040 returns would have been rejected.