Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SSN for Adopted Child

BobKamman
Level 15

Learn something new every day.  I was reluctant to believe my clients who said they have a new SSN for their daughter, adopted in late 2019.  I was especially skeptical when the number they gave me started with a zero, although I know New Englanders have been dealing with that for years.  But I found this from a reliable online source:

The Social Security Administration Guidelines have changed in recent years and allow any child that is adopted to obtain a new Social Security Number after an adoption. Significantly, there are no exclusions for older children or children adopted by grandparents. Also, the mandatory in-person interview conducted when an applicant is twelve or older and applying for an original Social Security Number does not apply to adopted children applying for a new Social Security Number.  However, one of the few remaining exclusions is that adults who are adopted cannot receive new Social Security Numbers. 

https://www.campbelllawpractice.com/blog/2020/7/1/applying-for-a-new-social-security-number-after-an... 

1 Comment 1
qbteachmt
Level 15

The numbers are no longer issued by area, to help prevent identity theft.

Also, you can change your SSN only in these circumstances:

• Your number is so similar to that of someone else in your family that it’s causing problems
  • Your SSN was mistakenly issued to more than one person
  • Someone stole your identity
  • Using your current number exposes you to danger (domestic violence, harassment, etc.)
  • You have a religious or cultural objection to some of the digits in your number (written documentation is required to validate this)

Not all children were issued SSN at birth, even now. I've had two relatives who had to work through affidavits to get their SSN issued or changed or otherwise corrected/combined.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.