Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Online Identity Verification Process for IRS Online Tools

sjrcpa
Level 15

"The IRS has announced a new identity verification process that taxpayers will use to access IRS online services. Taxpayers will use the new identity verification process to sign in to online services such as the Child Tax Credit Update Portal, Online Account, Get Transcript Online, Get an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) and Online Payment Agreement. Under the new verification process, taxpayers will sign in to IRS online services using ID.me . To obtain an ID.me account, new users will have to provide a photo of an identity document such as a driver's license, state ID, or passport. They will also need take a selfie with a smartphone or a computer webcam. Individuals who have credentials to access IRS online tools obtained under its old system may continue to use those credentials to sign in to IRS tools until summer 2022. News Release IR-2021-228 "

Already most clients can't manage to set up an online account to check for things like EIP. How's this gonna work?

Ex-AllStar
13 Comments 13
sjrcpa
Level 15

It's going to apply to Preparers' eservices accounts, too. When I logged in the other day there was a vague reference to having to change something in summer 2022.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

You left out the part where they have to send a fingerprint card and stool sample to 1111 Constitution 
Avenue NW, Washington DC 20224.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

They've already got fingerprint cards for a bunch of preparers. I think its part of the EFIN application process if you're not in certain categories such as CPA or lawyer.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm for the stool sample - it sounds like less of a hassle than what they are asking for.  Are they going to be setting up a special sewer line so that when you flush it goes to the correct IRS service center?

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Only a stool sample?  They are probably going to want DNA samples and retina scans as well.

If I remember correctly, ID.me is a third-party service.  I think it is interesting the IRS is paying a third-party service for this.

It will also be interesting whenever ID.me gets hacked.  It seems like something that will have a big 'target' on its head to be hacked, and realistically, it is likely a matter of "when" it will be hacked, rather than "if".

BobKamman
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill   "realistically, it is likely a matter of "when" it will be hacked, rather than "if"."

I keep saying that about third-party software used for electronic filing, but others just scoff.

Compare what IRS does, with what Social Security requires.  I have concerns about its security also, but unlike IRS it doesn't seem to have the objective of discouraging use.  They do it without the help of a company that hasn't been around long and doesn't have the best track record for helping states with identity of unemployment claimants.  

0 Cheers
dbarberi
Level 2

Does this new identity verification process have any relevance to a preparer who is simply submitting e-file returns through a program like ProSeries?

0 Cheers
Taxprohere
Level 7

No, this only pertains to anyone setting up an account at irs.gov.

Glossy847
Level 3

I started to set up with ID ME a few days ago and when I needed to upload a photo I stopped because at my age I need a 6 year old sometimes to help me with these devices.  So now I'm getting all kinds of promotions for goods and services that really have nothing to do with ID ME, so did I get into a wrong site?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This was an IRS news release from Nov 2021, which got reversed because of fraud issues:

https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace-tech/about-face-irs-to-stop-using-id-me-to-identify-ta...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Glossy847
Level 3

I started to set up the account after reading Kiplinger Tax Letter dated Feb 2, 2023 stating that the IRS was setting up an online portal to electronically file all form 1099s called the Information Return Intake System  which would be free to use.  Filers will need to first apply for a special code, and will need an ID.me account with IRS.  That's why I began the application process, stopped before completing it and then began getting emails promoting products and services.  Makes me suspicious that I was on the wrong site

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I think it's like PayPal, where you see that payments can be made using a credit card or your PayPal account. And, like Facebook and Google, where you can "sign in" to all sorts of websites by using one of those ids that can be verified. They allow you to log in with a username from a common function that already shares info. You also already know that FB and Google and even PayPal will market to you even after death, though. You likely did nothing wrong as long as you confirmed the little lock was secure at the top and the website was the real one. That doesn't prevent them from being A**h**l*s which is why I don't use any of these functions or have those accounts. I bought a snowblower off of FB marketplace by asking my mother to contact the seller (she uses FB to link to lots of other family) and then I tried to make a FB account for my cat so that I could sell a snowblower. They let me have it a couple of days, then they wanted a phone #. My cat has no phone. Oh well.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

This has been used by over 9 months...not a new thing.  And I agree it can be daunting until you get the hang of it.

0 Cheers