Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Jersey Part-Year Resident

Hi, Taxpayer is filing 2022 form 1040 and part-year resident New Jersey 1040. How to input the following information from form 1099-div to PTO: Total ordinary dividends $2,000 Qualified dividends $1,500. But only total ordinary dividends $600 and qualified dividends $400 go to NJ. Thank you

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd split it and act as if you have 2 1099-DIVs.

One has the NJ amounts, code to NJ.

The other is for the other state.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd split it and act as if you have 2 1099-DIVs.

One has the NJ amounts, code to NJ.

The other is for the other state.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

You can create separate line in each box.

The first line will be for the amount taxable on the federal return.  No special coding required.

The second line will be for the amount taxable to the first state.  Source it to that state and code it with an S, so that it will only be reported on that first state's return.

The third line will be for the amount taxable to the second state.  Similarly, source it to that second date and code it with an S.

If you are not familiar with this type of entries, take a look at this article:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/multi-state-taxes/entering-multi-state-amou...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

That works, too.

I don't use S often enough so it takes me more time.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

I find S very handy at times.  I can then consolidate all related entries to one single screen, which makes update/changes a little easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

@itonewbie @sjrcpa Many, many thanks to both of you. I did try both methods and they are both great. I click both as “accept solution” not sure whether I am allowed to click both.